Altenator cut out switch

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 27, 2008, 10:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

On a Ford alt I am looking for the correct wire to hook a switch into... to stop the charge cycle as I make a pass at  the drag strip.

A photo is posted of the alt.  Alt came  off a 1978 Fairmont car

I post  a phot of the electronic voltage regulator .

Letters on the reg  are I A S F  ; left to right

A switch In the wire "I" ?

Wayne?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I don't think that's going to do any good. I'm assuming you're doing it for a little more hp. You're still going to be turning the alternator whether it's charging or not so you will still have that drag.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

the A terminal on the regulator usually has constant power or switched power depending on if the car has a light or an amp meter...

the S terminal is Alternating current from the triple connection of the field windings...  this wire has half the output voltage in ac volts only when the alternator is charging..

the F terminal is the field ...   on fords.. one brush is grounded... the F terminal is the other... so the regulator puts out pulses of voltage to create a variable magnetic field.   the larger the magnetic field.. the more output..  except...

the I terminal on the regulator...     that is only used on cars with indicator lights... and the A terminal will have constant voltage on those...

the light is powered by the key and signals the regulator to turn on..

i would think that cutting the power to the voltage regulator on the A circuit would cut the alternator off..    

i cannot say what will happen....  it should stop charging..   it might blow up the regulator...

cutting the F circuit might also work... but what will the regulator do...

what i would think... it that with a fully charged battery... there is very little load on the alternator as there is only a little bit of amps being generated to bring the battery voltage up to 14 volts..    

with the charging system not working.. the system voltage would be down around 12.6 volts so you might have reduced coil output......

you might ask around an alternator shop to see if they have a larger diameter alternator pulley...   maybe with deep grooves.. that would slow the alternator down.

got a flex fan on the water pump ?????

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"

No fan on the w-pump. No room. A small  Electric fan.

I figure any HP  I can save will help with this application.  

The digital electronic ignition I have does not pull voltage like a MSD system would , yet I do not want to starve the ignition system of voltage.  I use an Optima battery in the car.
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "wayne petty"the A terminal on the regulator usually has constant power or switched power depending on if the car has a light or an amp meter...

the S terminal is Alternating current from the triple connection of the field windings...  this wire has half the output voltage in ac volts only when the alternator is charging..

the F terminal is the field ...   on fords.. one brush is grounded... the F terminal is the other... so the regulator puts out pulses of voltage to create a variable magnetic field.   the larger the magnetic field.. the more output..  except...

the I terminal on the regulator...     that is only used on cars with indicator lights... and the A terminal will have constant voltage on those...

the light is powered by the key and signals the regulator to turn on..

i would think that cutting the power to the voltage regulator on the A circuit would cut the alternator off..    

i cannot say what will happen....  it should stop charging..   it might blow up the regulator...

cutting the F circuit might also work... but what will the regulator do...

i used to run a switch on the field wire with a gm alt
never hurt anything BUT i DID literally blow up an alternator, threw the windings off...

what i would think... it that with a fully charged battery... there is very little load on the alternator as there is only a little bit of amps being generated to bring the battery voltage up to 14 volts..    

with the charging system not working.. the system voltage would be down around 12.6 volts so you might have reduced coil output......

you might ask around an alternator shop to see if they have a larger diameter alternator pulley...   maybe with deep grooves.. that would slow the alternator down.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=31100

cros, are you running an msd box or the like?
if so, i'd run the big pulley and not fool with the cut out switch.
they like voltage;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

cros, are you running an msd box or the like?
if so, i'd run the big pulley and not fool with the cut out switch.
they like voltage;)

No MSD box.

I have a digital Accel system on the car
Tony

dragrcr50

crosley,  i run alternators on both of my race cars to kee voltage up on all systems when racing, with or without is not one one hundreths difference....i have gone without and had to charge the batt etc.  i prefer to have it working.  and what did it run and i neve found out about the car either, is it a 6 cyl falcon?  corious
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "dragrcr50"crosley,  i run alternators on both of my race cars to kee voltage up on all systems when racing, with or without is not one one hundreths difference....i have gone without and had to charge the batt etc.  i prefer to have it working.  and what did it run and i neve found out about the car either, is it a 6 cyl falcon?  corious

Hi Sam,

yes, I am discussing the  1962 Falcon with 200 cid 6 cyl engine.  I am looking every little item to save weight and HP  on this car.

Tony