1982 Corvette 4 piston calipers

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 31, 2008, 10:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Well,

I finished the brake job today.  I had some difficulty ordering the parts... one day  I was on "lost" with the parts dept, next I forgot to call till the afternoon and they were closed ... then i'd call get the parts guy , get put on hold........................................  

I received the parts from Muskegon brakes this past tuesday.  I ordered the complete kit with sleeved calipers , new master cyl, 4 new rubber hoses , two steel lines for the rear calipers.  The rear lines appear to be stainless.

I had forgotten how * hard it is to get all the air out of this system!  I had a rubber hammer to slap the calipers with.  Janice had enough sense of humor to help me by pushing the pedal about 150 times.  My vacuum pump system was not removing all the air

The brake safety valve was giving me fits. It would slap over to one end and shut off the fluid , I would bleed the other end to get the valve happy again.   :lol:

The vette stops great now.

Either my line wrenches are getting worn or the fittings were slightly under sized... I tried metric line wrenches = did  not fit.  3/8 inch line wrench was slightly loose .  I tried my crows foot line wrench, that was not really any better.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm finding a lot of new bolts/screws included in assemblies or things that have bolts supplied to be slightly undersized like that. I've complained and got blank stares, complete denial, and the ever popular "Man, we've never seen that before.".

Maybe businesses in metric countries are incapable of making American bolt heads correctly...maybe they use a different manufacturing process.

On the bright side Crosley, you have a real future as a final inspector in our new mfg processes which seem to guarantee that you will be the final inspector. Our motto is:

"If it fits in the box it's fit enough to ship!"

Give Muskegon Brake a call on Monday - see what they have to say about the fitting sizes - that ain't right!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!