Sway Bar! 37 Ford Whats best, What can I expect?

Started by rooster, July 02, 2004, 11:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I have a 37 ford coupe with a MII front end, SBC, with power steering. When I got the
coupe it had stock MII brakes and wheels (14",4 lug).

I have upgraded to Granada 11" rotors this increased the width of my front end
approximately 5/8" on both sides.
The wheels and tires I choose to fit to the Granada rotors are 14" Ranger p/u, with
195X70 R14 tires.

The pictures were taken with the car still  at full turn with a driver in the seat, the driver
side is just about to touch the fender, the sheet metal is stock fit for this picture( no added
washers for clearance)

The problem is the tires rub the fenders when turning into driveways especially when
there is a passenger in the car! Going straight down the road is no problem.

Currently I run 12 washers under the front sheet metal supports to get clearance for the
driveways, I need to get some kind of permanent fix before I go on with the car.

As a fix for this problem I only see possibly getting some wheels that have a deeper inset,
a smaller tire profile, install a sway bar to the front-end, (all of the above.)

My question is what can I expect from a sway bar as far as turning into driveways?

What sway bar ( make an year) makes a good implant from the bone yard for 37 ford
frames?

enjenjo

The effect of a sway bar when turning into driveways, won't be much. The problem is caused by the cross member being widened 4" This was real common using stock crossmembers, under 35 to 40 Fords.

At this point, I would suggest finding some 90's T bird wheels, same bolt pattern, and they have about 2" more offset. If they will clear the rotor, and tie rod ends, they should solve the problem. Some of the later GM front drivers have a 4 1/2" bolt pattern too, and more offset, but IMHO are ugly
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

btrc

Don't bother with the T-bird wheels, they aren't the same bolt pattern.  They are Metric and just a little bit smaller pattern.  I know because I had to get the rear hubs of my T-bird susp. redrilled to fit 4-1/2" bolt pattern wheels.  I thought I would have problems as low as the front of my car is but they have never touched as far as I can tell.  I do raise the front though if I see I'm going through a dip like your driveway probably has.  I have 195/65 R15 front tires with Granada rotors and steel fenders, no spacers.

Bob
Bob

rooster

There was a company at the nationals last year that made steel wheels to your spects I seem to remember thay were around 60 each, i have there paper work somewhere that shows how to measure up.

Yesterday I went to u wrench it and got a sway bar out of a 96 explorer but I think it will fall a bit short for my application, I got it anyway, they said I could bring it back if it didnt fit. Picture provided in case it might work on someone else's.