4.6 DOHC in a 32: Anyone Doing/Done It

Started by 345 DeSoto, November 20, 2008, 07:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Quote from: "345 DeSoto"PAPASTOYSS,
 When I got the engine, I also snagged EVERYthing that even remotely connected to it...and the transmission.  All the modules, sensors, wiring, harnesses, ECM...EVERYthing.  Farther down the road, I can start eliminating unnecessary functions, but I KNOW how all the electronics seem to be exact vehicle specific, so I grabbed it all...
Did your donor have the speed sensor in the rear axle? I think that'swhere my friends problems began. They changed to a trans mounted speedsensor & it wasn't compatible with the original ECU.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

345 DeSoto

...No speed sensor on the rear axle...in the transmition...

Grandadeo

Tony, I see you made it over here.  And getting some responses already.  Good bunch of knowledgeable folks here, me excluded.  Like I said over on the Barn, if it has a computer and fuel injection, not to mention all that other scary voo doo stuff the guys have already mentioned, I'm lost.  But I have fun with my simple '32.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

kb426

I'm not a 4.6 expert but you have cam functions that are ecu controlled that will have to be addressed somehow to have any chance of working with eec iv. I know that comp cams makes some parts to help this but I don't remember if that is on 3 valve or 4 valve engines. I have read that someone makes a conversion to adapt edis to the rest of the system but I don't think they ever mentioned a name. There are 2 guys that man the Ford performance tech line that I have become acquainted with. If you call them, they may be able to head you in the right direction. Mt explorer engine was edis. Fortunately, eec iv allowed me to put in the standard tfi distributor and not chase the answer. You have the cam and ignition areas to find answers for. The rest, the eec iv will handle. I thought about doing this but wanted to run a full hood. That sent me back to the 5.0 series.
TEAM SMART

Grandadeo

Quote from: "kb426"I'm not a 4.6 expert but you have cam functions that are ecu controlled that will have to be addressed somehow to have any chance of working with eec iv. I know that comp cams makes some parts to help this but I don't remember if that is on 3 valve or 4 valve engines. I have read that someone makes a conversion to adapt edis to the rest of the system but I don't think they ever mentioned a name. There are 2 guys that man the Ford performance tech line that I have become acquainted with. If you call them, they may be able to head you in the right direction. Mt explorer engine was edis. Fortunately, eec iv allowed me to put in the standard tfi distributor and not chase the answer. You have the cam and ignition areas to find answers for. The rest, the eec iv will handle. I thought about doing this but wanted to run a full hood. That sent me back to the 5.0 series.

Like I said SCARY VOO DOO STUFF!

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

nzsimon

A very interesting thread I look forward to watching it all unfold

Always good to learn new stuff
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true