What was your first car ? Do you still have it ?

Started by Learpilot, November 19, 2008, 08:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

My First Car was my 31 Ford Model A Hiboy Coupe, bought not running in fall of 65.

Kept it till I retired and sold it to my nephew in 2003 because I needed the money.

Nephew is taking good care of it.

My first new car was 67 Dodge Charger that I still have, still need money, anyone want to buy it?

mcdonald

My first car was a 57 chevy 4 door i t had 6cyl and 3 speed manul when  l owned the chev i was building a A model tudor which had a boxed chassis a jag rear end and tube front axle with torchen bars and running a 289 windser and c4 auto this was back in 1965.and the A model is now owned by my brother and it now has a new chassis with jag rear end and independed front end and it has been changed into a sedan delivery with a 350 chev and 400 auto and colour change ,but its still my car, it like my father axe i have replaced 3 new handles and 2 new heads but it still my old fathers axe. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Lindsay

Uncle Bob

Mine was a '51 Merc tudor.  Found it for sale on the drug store parking lot corner where folks would do that sort of thing.  Being it was only 11 years old it still had decent but oxidized original pale yellow paint, and good original interior.  Even the radio worked, with that wonderful deep, melodious tone that tube radios seemed to have.  Ran beautifully, well, except that first gear had a missing tooth that made quite a racket as it came around.  After money changed hands, a whopping $100, the first thing I did before leaving the lot was pull off the factory skirts.......I really hated that look.  Drove it home, proud as a million bucks!  Spent the rest of the day polishing the paint by hand til it looked like new.  Polished the chrome.  Since this was in So Cal, there wasn't a spot of rust on it's pristine body.  Took off the wheel/tires, painted them black and mounted porta-walls.  Man she looked even sweeter.  A couple months later I got around to going to the junk yard to spring $10 for a replacement o/d trans which was changed at the end of the driveway where the curb cut/apron was so I could get underneath it.  

I wasn't as smart as some of you, I sold it later on and moved through a long sting of different cars.  Woulda, shoulda. :(
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

papastoyss

My first car was a 56 Chevy 4d sedan. It was in a neighbor"s barn w/ a blown up 6 cyl. We pulled it home with a Farmall Cub tractor. I bought a 348 & got a local mechanic to install it.Within 6 mo. I wrecked it & patched it up then I blew the engine.I traded the remains on a 63 Olds F85 Jetfire that had the 215 turbo engine. That was possibly the best car I  had for a long time. I ran the $%&#@*& out of that car & it never let me down. Except for a ball joint breaking while riding around with my girl friend one Sunday evening!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat rat

49 Stude Champ 2 dr. Drove it 3 months and had a guy turn in front of me. Totaled the car out.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

n.c.rodder

Mine was a 69 Olds Delta 98. I was the second owner. Bought it from my grandfather, who bought it new. He originally bought the car to just tow the boat to the lake. The car was 10 years old when he decided he needed a new one.  

It wasn't a glamorous car but it had a 455 that "Kicked A**". For the boat that it was, it ran really good. Drove it all through High School. It was actually named the Party Barge by my friends. You could fit 6 in it easy. Sadly 4 months after I graduated it was run over by a dump truck. I lived in town & didn't have any place to work on it. So I sold it to a guy that just wanted the motor & tranny.  

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

OldSub

1936 Chevrolet 2-door standard.  Got it about the same time I got my driver's license but never got it on the road.  Sold it cheap to a guy named Byron.

A few years ago on another board someone posted that a '36 Chevy was on eBay.  I went and looked at the listing out of curiosity, mostly because I used to own one.  As I read the description it just felt familiar.  

I looked at the location and it was my hometown, 550 miles from where I live now.  I looked at the name of the seller and it was very close to the name of a hot rod shop I knew back home years ago.

So I used ask the seller a question to see if it might be Stan, and then explained who I am and why he might remember me, and then asked where he got the '36 Chevy.

Turns out it was the guy I knew, and he bought it in the early 90's from Byron.

It didn't sell on eBay, and a year later my son and I ran through my old hometown with an empty trailer and cash in my pocket.  We stopped at the hot rod shop, still in the same place, and visited Stan and asked if he still had the car.  He did.

Here I am standing next to it.

It didn't take very long to decide I'd made the right choice selling it 30 years earlier.  I kept my money in my pocket and left the car sitting there.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

chimp koose

65 mustang fastback. 302 auto w/slapstick shifter.holley 600 vacuum secondary carb ,edelbrock torker ,mallory yl dual point dizzy,cyclone headers ,thrush header mufflers teardrop hood scoop like the factory a/fx used.started out as original prarie bronze colour,went to electric blue( we painted it in the winter heating the garage with a propane fire belching construction site heater,man door open at one end garage door slightly open at the other)After a dropped valve killed the 302 ,a balanced .040 over 289 went in with a crane fireball cam,69 351w heads milled .080 , yes .080! 11:1 CR and all the previous goodies from the 302 as well as an electric fuel pump ,a vacuum secondary 780 holley ,2" carb spacer and a beautiful new spun brass velocity stack poking through the new,home made (almost caused a fire) pin on fiberglass hood.( winters are not kind to fiberglass /bondo/ steel combinations, the a/fx hood was too cracked up)A B&M built trans w/reversed shift pattern (shift AWAY from neutral) valve body and a 3500 stall converter followed by a 9" detroit locker w/4.11s .YES I ran slicks on the street. YES I drove to high school with open headers . YES I got suspended from school for doing a glorious burnout right in front of school at lunch time.YES I sold the car after owning it for 5 years.I thought I was doing the right thing and have regretted it ever since. This was my first race car.Took it to the track once in 81 and learned that just because it LOOKS fast doesnt mean it IS fast. In 82 my father told me I could not live in his house if I was going to drag race.I MOVED. My first full season of racing was 83 . I went to the final round  in each of the first FIVE race events ,winning 1 r/u 4.Got a picture of my car leaving the line in a final round  in national dragster magazine july83. Tied for the season championship at the end of the season and ended up 2nd  in a runoff for the title (.002 red light.).I LOVED THAT CAR. At my 20 yr high school reunion every person I talked to asked me "hows the mustang ?" only to be surprised that I didnt still own it.A good friend of mine , a mustang guy ,has FOUND it, it still belongs to the guy I sold it to.It has been sitting beside a shed for the past 15yrs after the motor blew.I think I will try to get it back when I finish and sell my anglia.Even if I never get the time to redo it ,I would still like to have it back. When I was a kid ,I used to be annoyed by old guys who wouldnt sell the old car in their yard because it had "sentimental value". Now I understand!

Carnut

Heh, heh, Yes I also did a burnout in front of my High School as school let out, in my 31 Model A with the 49 Ford Flathead and 39 Transmission with 40 syncro gears in it.

Heh, heh, blew the bottom out of the trans case, littered gear lube and a few parts and pieces on the pavement.

Got trans in one of the forward gears and limped it home.

Such a memory.

sirstude

64 Comet Calente 4 door with buckets and a V8

65 Impala hardtop  327 4 speed 4.11s

64 Impala SS 409 4 speed

71 Subaru

in that order
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us