Sure was a fun ride...

Started by 40, July 18, 2004, 11:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

...home from the tire shop! Finished at work a little early yesterday so decided to get the WWW's mounted on my pickup.These are the tires I just bought for the 40,but that's another story...anyway...the tire shop where I do business is a really large/busy place especially on Saturday afternoons and they roll cars in and out pretty quickly.I told them I would clean the tires up later and as soon as the truck hit the ground,I jumped in it and was off!Everything was cool thru the neighborhood with a stop sign every block or so but when I popped out onto the freeway and got up to speed the truck darted all over the road.I was sure they had bent something while raising it in the air and was not a happy fellow as I hung onto that 3' diameter steering wheel for all I was worth.When I got it parked safely in the drive,I slid underneath the frontend and had a look...nothing seemed bent or damaged and as I stood up,I noticed the truck was leaning to one side and looked cock-eyed!A quick walk around the truck determined that they had put one tire of each size on the front and rear and also on opposite sides of the truck....there is a 3" differance in height :roll: It was like driving a teeter totter down the road at hiway speed!I called my pal at the tire shop and informed him of the situation...we cooked up a story of how I lost control and ended up flipping the truck over in the ditch etc to have a little fun with the fellows out in the service area.It was just an honest mistake...one probably easy to make when mounting Diamondback tires as they clean all of the markings off one side of the tire before creating the white wall...but it sure made for an interesting ride home :shock:  I wonder if Paul ever told them the truth or if they still think I'm upside down in the ditch :wink:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

jaybee

A little twisted maybe, but not upside down.   :lol:

That's a good one, I had to tell the whole family.  Maybe they just couldn't remember which end the 'bigs' go on?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

grumpy

Quote from: "jaybee"A little twisted maybe, but not upside down.   :lol:

That's a good one, I had to tell the whole family.  Maybe they just couldn't remember which end the 'bigs' go on?
Well?! did Charlie come through for ya? I just talked to him at the Lancaster KKOA show.
I hope the deal worked in your favor.
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

Tim,Thanks again for the tire connection.Charlie shipped the tires to me and they arrived in a couple of days...unfortunately,the fronts were too tall for my 40...they were almost 4" taller than the ones currently on the car and I couldn't turn the wheel lock to lock without hitting the fender.Soooo....In the morning,I'll give Charlie another call and see if he can fix me up again with the correct sizes.It worked out great anyhow...I needed a new set of skins for my 55 Chevy pickup and the sizes were perfect.They look awesome and I think they'll drive just fine with the "littles"on the front and the"bigs"on the rear :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"