As I emerged from the fog with my gun in hand...

Started by DRD57, June 05, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

...my brother said "You look like a giant Cheetoe".

It's been 5 years since my youngest brother, Sam, and I did a full weekend thrash and chopped my coupe. Time flies when you're having fun or as Kermit says "time's fun when your having flies".

We figured it was about time to do another weekend thrash. This time the victim would be his GMC crew cab. No, we're not psycho enough to attempt to chop this thing at all much less in a weekend. He wanted flames. Lots of 'em. We decided to do it over Memorial Day weekend but we also wanted to take in the West Coast Kustoms show in Paso Robles so, we did a few things in advance to make the actual layout go a bit quicker. The previous weekend he came down to my shop and we made a pounce pattern. I had never done it this way before but it made making it symmetrical much easier.

DRD57

After we transferred the pattern back onto the truck with the pounce bag, I taped off the flames with 1/8" tape. Then we covered the area with 2" tape and went back over it with a razor blade to trim the 2" tape out of  the area that would get the flames.

DRD57

Dad offered up his carport for the painting. We used plastic sheeting to cover and enclose the entire inside of the carport. This kept overspray off of the house and driveway and kept the dirt and wind out of the painting area.

DRD57

When it was all painted I thought I was going to have to get a rope to tie Sam up to keep him from pulling the tape off before the paint was dry enough. Basically we spent Saturday and Sunday laying it all out, taping it up and covering everything in harm's way up with plastic. Monday I sprayed and we stripped the tape off. Next week he'll get it striped.

Sean

Crosley.In.AZ

DRD...... 2 things

KOOL looking truck, you guys did good.

It has been  5 years since you chopped the top? it sure does not seem like it.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DRD57

Quote from: "Crosley"DRD...... 2 things

KOOL looking truck, you guys did good.

It has been  5 years since you chopped the top? it sure does not seem like it.

8)

Thanks.

Yeah, while I was taking a break between coats, my rug rat nephew informed me that he will be 5 years old in a few days. He was born just a few days before we chopped the coupe.

phat rat

Very nice Don. If you were closer I'd ask about doing my truck.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

C9

Looks great . . . bet Sam's happy as all get out.

I gotta hand to you guys, especially you Don.
You're not afraid to try most anything.

As it should be, in life and especially so in hot rods.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

DRD57

It was fun but a lot of work.

Sam is happy as a clam.

I think Sam's got more sand (pun intended) in tearing into stuff than I do. Check out this site to see the 2001 Silverado that he cut in half.

http://www.3ddesignandfab.com/offroad/brianspage.html

Dolly

Quote from: "DRD57"It was fun but a lot of work.

Sam is happy as a clam.

Way to go Doode!

Methinks you both got waaaay too much spare time.

Carps is striping a flamed Model A flamejob tomorrow, maybe I should send him with his brushes and a tin of one shot over to Californee to play?
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

moondisc

Free room, board and beer on the right coast if you'll come do my motorhome!  :lol:

DRD57

Quote from: "moondisc"Free room, board and beer on the right coast if you'll come do my motorhome!  :lol:

motorhome?!?!?

Do you think you could afford to put both of us up for a whole year? :lol: