4 Engine -- 2 Transmission Roll Around Stand

Started by 1FATGMC, January 01, 2009, 01:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Well Ruth and I got back from our driving marathon first to LA and El Mirage and then to Conn. and back about a week and a half ago.  I've been very anxious to get back to work on the lakester, but first had to take care of a few loose ends.  Sparky and I both bought wrecked 98/99 chevy/gmc vans for their vortex engines, overdrive transmissions and other usable parts last year.  I had taken the engine and transmission out of Sparky's and down to him last year, but still had the body and frame.  Hooley wanted the front of the frame for a '47 or '48 COE chevy he is building to haul the stude on a ramp back.  I wanted the rear of the frame for another project.  I got the body off of that one one down to a friend's junk yard and then got the frame stuck in all the snow there.  Hooley and a friend came the other day and we got it out of the snow and back to my shop and cut it in half and he headed back to OK with his parts.  

Right before he got here I had to pull the engine transmission from the other one so that I could give the transmission (4L60E) to a friend in exchange for a 4L80E he had.  My shop was getting crowded with other engines and transmissions I had around, so I decided to make a stand to free up some room.

I built this stand that stores 4 engines and 2 transmission in the space of 2 engines for about $125 in two days and thought that it might be something someone else might want to do, so I put the build pictures on my site..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/4%20Engine%202%20Trans%20Stand.html

I hope that these might help someone else that has the same problem.

Happy New Year,

Sum

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

OldSub

The way this story started I expected bigger tires and a trailer tongue...

That looks great!  I've realized lately that managing parts cars and salvaged parts consumes so much of my time that I have little left to spend on the real projects.  

I recently spent an entire weekend mounting motors on rolling stands and then building a table over the top of them (using 4x4's and inch thick flooring) to store transmissions and blocks.  I engineered it stout enough for another shelf at the eight foot level, but since it is fixed in place, and my cherry picker won't go that high I realized I'd never put anything up there.

Your moveable setup solves that problem.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Leon

Don't know how that would work for me, first earthquake and I'd be cleaning up engines.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Leon"Don't know how that would work for me, first earthquake and I'd be cleaning up engines.

I googled "earth quake" the response was :" see Calliefornia"...  :lol:

Sum....  that tube used on the bottom does not look large enough to support all the weight on it...  is that an optical illusion?  
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"hmmph!
i don't see a amc motor.... :lol:

It has it's own spot and you can see the lower crank pulley just to the bottom right of the stand.  I'm close to just ordering a remanufactured 6 for the Jeep.  I can't see where I can build one for what I can buy one.  would you like your motor back  8) , I've stored it inside for you all of these year.

Tony I guess I don't know what tube you are talking about, but everything is still up in the air a couple days later  :wink: .

One of my rear axles for the Jeep finally broke trying to pull the van frame out of the snow the other day.  I have some new one piece ones coming that should be here the first of next week..........today the windshield wipers quit working on the Buick...........does it ever end??

c ya,

Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

It has it's own spot and you can see the lower crank pulley just to the bottom right of the stand.  I'm close to just ordering a remanufactured 6 for the Jeep.  I can't see where I can build one for what I can buy one.  would you like your motor back  8) , I've stored it inside for you all of these years.

Tony I guess I don't know what tube you are talking about, but everything is still up in the air a couple days later  :wink: .

One of my rear axles for the Jeep finally broke trying to pull the van frame out of the snow the other day.  I have some new one piece ones coming that should be here the first of next week..........today the windshield wipers quit working on the Buick...........does it ever end??

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

It has it's own spot and you can see the lower crank pulley just to the bottom right of the stand.  I'm close to just ordering a remanufactured 6 for the Jeep.  I can't see where I can build one for what I can buy one.  would you like your motor back  8) , I've stored it inside for you all of these year.

uh, no.
use it for a core?
boat anchor?
send it to crosley?

c ya,

Sum
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list