57 Chevy

Started by flamefink, October 03, 2008, 11:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

As I've probably already told some of you, I took the plunge last year and finally gave in to my strong interests in tri 5 Chevys. I never gave much detail, so here a quick update and my current issue...

I bought a '57 210 2-door Hard Top that had previously served as someones parts car. The car was gutted and quite a bit of outside trim is missing as well as the whole front clip.

Why someone would part out a perfectly good hardtop I don't know...  :roll:

So now its like I'm trying to save the world in put this thing back together. The car has a really nice trunk floor, and came with the pieces to patch the area below the deck lid. It needs inner and outter rockers and about 4" of the floor along side of the rockers. It'll also need quarters to fix the half quarter hack job that was already done to it. The chassis has seen better days so I recently purchased a super nice unmolested roller "California" one piece chassis for it. Also picked up a pair of workable front fenders and inner fenders, a near mint hood, a nice decklid, some random trim and some misc pieces to try and tie all of the front end together.

I've searched high and low for parts, and its just come to what I never wanted to do - use another complete car as a parts car :? . I recently found a 57 Chevy 4-door Bel Air Hardtop that is in savable but sad shape. This car is complete aside from the hub caps and all of the glass (even mirrors) being broken out of it. This car ever has the original engine and trans (4 barrel - 265 or 283?). I know everything from the firewall forward will work for my 2-door and not too much of the interior will work.

What I'm trying to get to is the questions...

I was told hartop uses a different rear seat from sedan but 4door hardtop vs 2door hardtop was never mentioned. Will the rear seat fit my 2-door?

The car also has the stainless rocker trim. Will this work on my 2 door?

I believe the windshield and vent window trim will fit as well, am I right?

Overall do you think it'd be a good idea to part out this 4 door in favor of a 2 door?
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

wayne petty

this might sort out the issue for the front glass...

http://www.yearone.com/pco/T_0307/full.asp?page=237

and this page for the side and rear...

http://www.yearone.com/pco/T_0307/full.asp?page=236

hope this helps....

BFS57

Hello;
I too have a 57 daily Driver but mine is a 4 door hardtop. I had the windshield changed and the glass guy had fits trying to get a proper replacement glass. The end result was that the winshield for a convertible fit my hardtop sooo... I would think that the glass from the 4 door hardtop would not fit your two door.
As far as the rear seat goes I think that the rear seat may fit but the bottom is where you may have some issues.
I think the lower trim will fit as if you order it new it's the same no matter what car it's for.
Thats my 2 cents worth

Bruce

Charlie Chops 1940

The rear seat pieces are not designed to be free standing. You're gonna need a 2 door front seat unless you can make the back rest of the 4 door front seat tip forward. 57 two door seat seem to be scarce as hens teeth as they are a one year seat. Buckets may be your best choice.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

flamefink

Quote from: "wayne petty"this might sort out the issue for the front glass...

http://www.yearone.com/pco/T_0307/full.asp?page=237

and this page for the side and rear...

http://www.yearone.com/pco/T_0307/full.asp?page=236

hope this helps....
Wayne, thanks for the link. I was considering trying to save the 4door and the fact that they sell new rear glass encourages me more.

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I too have a 57 daily Driver but mine is a 4 door hardtop. I had the windshield changed and the glass guy had fits trying to get a proper replacement glass. The end result was that the winshield for a convertible fit my hardtop sooo... I would think that the glass from the 4 door hardtop would not fit your two door.
As far as the rear seat goes I think that the rear seat may fit but the bottom is where you may have some issues.
I think the lower trim will fit as if you order it new it's the same no matter what car it's for.
Thats my 2 cents worth
Bruce, I wish I could drive mine year round but the ohio winters would destroy it. Is there a major difference in the seat bottoms? I've never seen any details in the actual diferences in the rear seats.

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"The rear seat pieces are not designed to be free standing. You're gonna need a 2 door front seat unless you can make the back rest of the 4 door front seat tip forward. 57 two door seat seem to be scarce as hens teeth as they are a one year seat. Buckets may be your best choice.
Charlie, that front seat has been one of those parts I just can't bring myself to spending the money for. I've found a couple but they've been pricey. I'm not a big fan of buckets in a big cruiser like this ones gonna be. A friend of mine has a 56 2door front seat I've been considering buying to use instead.

Charlie Chops 1940

I wouldn't pass up the '56 seat if it's priced right. After that you're bound to find a '57 seat cheap...LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

BFS57

Hello Again;
Sorry to be a wet blanket but I have seen 55-56-57 seats which are nothing more than rusted springs go from $400 to $600.00! I don't know if you are trying for stock as the seats in my 57 arn't really that confortable but some good salvage yard Caprice seats would probly do the trick as I have seen anything from Chevelle to Caprice to Cadillac seats in tri 5 cars.

Bruce

flamefink

After some more research and searching on yearone's website, it looks like none of the rear seat parts from other models will work. I've come to the conclusion that only a 2door hardtop rear seat will work for stock application. I'm going to take some measurements on the extra 63 Riviera interior parts I have to see if I can do a little improvising.

Do any of you guys think that 57 4door hardtop is worth $1800? It has a clean ohio title but is a bit rough around the lower end and its going to need floors. I'm considering buying it because I need the entire front clip, dash trim steering wheel and a few pieces of other misc trim. I really don't know if there's a market for the other parts I don't need. Anyone?

BFS57

Hello;
I don't know about the money but If the inner and outer fenders are good then I guess it's worth it. As far as parts go, anythinh 4 door hardtop in good condition is worth some money> I know I need a piece of trim that goes across the passinger door and could use more if it's noy all banged up like mine.
I see that there are complete floors for these to be had from $700 to $1500. I paid $7k for mine 3 years ago and Im still driving it!

Bruce

reborn55

Good donor rear seats are from 66-67 Chevelle or any of the sister models of that year-- and some 65-66-full size Chevies.  The Chevelle seat need the rear side trim to hlp with the fit and the full size one really don't.  if it is a true 210 2 door hardtop--they are kind of rare.  Front seats from tri-five 2doors are basically the same except for the side shell trim.  My street rod has a 55 front seat in it and I just mention the word sell and the phone rings off the hook'  I have used 66 Chevelle and mid 90's t-bird buckets with pretty good luck