Alternators tha look like generators

Started by junkyardjeff, October 03, 2008, 11:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

No that I go a bug in my behind to make my 37 chevy p/u look like a shop truck I am going to put in a period correct interior along with making the 57 235 look like a 216 there is one thing I forgot untill I opened the other side of the hood,the alternator I have on it so does anyone make a alternator that looks like a GM generator.  I have seen them for flatheads but nothing for a GM product,maybe I should stop this stupidity at that point and not open that side of the hood.  Jeff

MrMopar64

www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

BFS57

Hello;
I know that Powermaster makes such an itm but you better get ready to mortgage your house to pay for it!

Bruce

junkyardjeff

I checked the prices and for a normal GM gererator is was around 800 dollars so thats out of the question,if I want to look period correct I will put in a rebuilt generator.  All I have is lights,turnsignals and a radio so a generator would be more then enough.  Jeff

river1

i'd keep the alternator and keep the hood closed

my 2 cents

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

junkyardjeff

I am going to keep that side of the hood closed,I am planning on installing haleogen headlights and I doubt a generator could handle it.  Jeff

SKR8PN

Why not try to build a cover for your alternator??? Make it LOOK like a generator......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

junkyardjeff

I might end up doing that eventually but for now I think I am going to forget about a period correct charging system.

dave boley

I saw a "clean design" technique used on a show car once where they did not want any thing on the engine so they put the alternator under the car mounted on the rear differential with a drive pulley on the yoke.  Using a GM one wire type alternator you ought to be able to get that to work in conjunction with your generator or maybe just the shell of one up front for cosmetic purposes.
It ain\'t easy bein\' different, but I still like it...

http://www.daveboley.info
http://www.pvpmedia.com/53f100.htm

wayne petty

alternator on the rear end...

i saw something much better a long time ago that was probably just a prototype...

it bolted between the motor and transmission.. moving the trans back like 4 or 6 inches...

it was a starter generator...  that could uncouple from the gas engine.. so the electric motor half could drive the transmission on battery power...

i seem to recall the alternator half could put out like 2,000 amps at lower voltages.. 3 phase.    12,24, 36   i don't remember... the 2K amps blew me away...

i don't think it went into mass  production...  but it was a really neat idea....

maybe i should contact that company... and see if they could make one that did not disconnect... but only added an inch or so to the motor trans space... that would replace the starter and the alternator for hot rods...

oh... and for those who don't know yet.,.. some of the alternators on hybrids are also starter alternators...   these start the motor on the fly as it would be kinda noisy kicking the starter into the flywheel teeth while they are moving...   small motors have had starter alternators for years...

my thought if you want an alternator... but it to look like a generator...

find one of the small high powered alternators..   make a tube that has flanges that bolt to the back of the mounting brackets... that has the rear plate of a generator on the back...