Bagging an Olds

Started by DRD57, September 16, 2008, 08:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

When I get back to the shop I've got a 50 Olds in the shop that the customer wants bagged. Since the front suspension needs a rebuild anyway and it's kind of goofy he's open to a sub frame clip for the car.

I know another guy who just did a Camaro clip in an identical car and he narrowed it to get the track width right and for an overall better fit. I can do that but if there's something that fits better, I'd rather use that.

So, the question is: What GM front end is the best fit for this car? Would an S10 or 78 - 8? G body be better?

Thanks,

Don

enjenjo

A 78 to 87 A and G body clip fits nice, 4" narrower than a Camaro clip. You can use the Camaro spindles, bolt in, to get the bigger 11"brakes, or similar year Caddy spindles to get 12" brakes. The same air bag kits that fit an S10 will fit the A/G body clip too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"A 78 to 87 A and G body clip fits nice, 4" narrower than a Camaro clip. You can use the Camaro spindles, bolt in, to get the bigger 11"brakes, or similar year Caddy spindles to get 12" brakes. The same air bag kits that fit an S10 will fit the A/G body clip too.

Thanks, I suspected that might be the case.

Will the 78 - 82 Caddy spindles, rotors etc. affect the track width?

enjenjo

QuoteWill the 78 - 82 Caddy spindles, rotors etc. affect the track width?

Not to any great extent, less than 1/4" You can also use 94 Camaro rotors on the Caddy spindles for a 4 3/4" bolt pattern.

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteWill the 78 - 82 Caddy spindles, rotors etc. affect the track width?

Not to any great extent, less than 1/4" You can also use 94 Camaro rotors on the Caddy spindles for a 4 3/4" bolt pattern.

Does the 50 Olds have a 4 3/4" or a 5" pattern?

enjenjo

50 Olds is a 5" pattern.

sirstude

Frank,

I think you told me before, but what upper control arms are you using with the Cad stuff on the G-body frames?  Or just a plate and raise the stock arm up?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Just use the stock arm, in the stock location. If you need a lot  shims on the bolts to get alignment, I use a plate drilled to fit the holes 3/8" to 1/2" thick, but this is just a spacer to reduce the  amount of shims used. You may not need to do this, because most of these frames have sagged in a bit over the years.

The tall spindle conversion is used by racers to reduce camber gain in corners.

DRD57

What's a reasonable price for a G-body front clip?

enjenjo

Around here, $150 seems to be a going price. It should not be a problem out there, but here you have to check for rust.

For comparision, I can pick up a complete 9" Ford rear for about the same price.

Brootal

How the hell do you remember all this stuff, Frank? :)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "Brootal"How the hell do you remember all this stuff, Frank? :)

I have no common sense. this leaves a lot of unused space in my brain, even thought it is not overly large. this other stuff just kind of rattles around in there until someone asks.