32 ride height question

Started by ragtag, September 28, 2008, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtag

I read a lot about positioning the rear tire properly in the rear tire well on highboy hot rods. I'm curious what options you have (short of modifing the crossmember) to adjust the rear ride (body) height on a stock 32 frame. What can you do? Take leaves out of the spring or change the lenght of the shackles? What else??

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm building a  full-fendered '32 roadster and it took some effort to put the tires in the right place front-to-back.  Not the same place for a highboy. I'm using Posies parallel leaves and will dial the ride height in with lowering blocks once I get all of the weight in the car

A few things you can do:

Use a reversed eye main leaf.

Remove leaves and add a filler below the spring pack.

If you go to slightly longer shackles you'll probably need a panhard bar to keep the rear end located from side to side.

Make sure your tires are large enough in diameter to fill the well. A flatter cross member will go a long ways to getting right stance too. Lots of guys run an almost flat cross member and a generous c-notch.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Topsterguy

On my coupe I took 2 leaves out, not 2 in a row but the second shortest one, skip one , then the next one. I didn't add them underneath tho, and it worked fine. I did have to put one back in to get it just right after they settled tho.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"