Subframe integrity

Started by enjenjo, September 26, 2008, 01:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I got a call yesterday from a local custom body shop. About 10 years ago I built a 51 Ford convertible, with a 81 Pontiac GP sunframe/TPI 305/700R4. It was sold shortly after it was finished, someone who offered way too much money, but that's beside the point.  Anyhow, the current owner hit a parked car with it doing in the neighborhood of 45 MPH. It did $20,000 damage to the car, ripped the right front wheel right off the car. The frame was bent, they were able to pull it back, and he was looking for suspension parts to put it back together. I'm glad it held up. FWIW this is the second time this car has had a front hit since I built it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"Hitting parked cars?

8)

No, the first hit was while it was in the body shop for paint 10 years ago. For some reason they had the neurtal switch disconnected, and drove it into a wall :shock:

Jokester

Maybe it's the brakes!!!!  :lol:
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

phat46

So what does the other car look like? After seeing how you build things I'm sure the other car got the worst of it!!!  :shock:

enjenjo

No idea what the other one looks like. This car originally came from Mo, had "rebel" painted on the rear fender. As I said the guy I built it for, sold it shortly after completing it. Story is, at the first show he took it too, a lady came up, and said she had to have it. He told her $50,000. She called in a couple days, said she had $48,000, he said no, $50,000. She showed up that weekend with $50,000 cash, so she went home with the car. I didn't think at the time it was worth near that much, I did not like the way the top was chopped, looked too flat, the top frame was not cut properly, top would bind when going up or down. And some of the bodywork was shakey. But it sold, so I was probably wrong.