COE update

Started by 348tripower, September 21, 2008, 07:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Good morning gang,
 Between getting the honey do list taken care of and getting rid of some junk before winter I have done some work. :-o
 I have the Speedway motors engine and trans mounts in, the steering hooked up and seats ready to mount.  Running board brackets and cab mounts are in place with some reinforcement needed on both. The brake pedal and master cylinder are hung.
I changed the front tires out to a pair I had in stock. This gave me more fender clearance and a lower stance. I have wheels ordered, Halibrand 5 spokes.
I didn't get any pictures of the steering to box connection or the master cylinder. Got to remember to do that. Any how, here are pictures.
Don

Don Colliau

GPster

How long will thw driveshaft be? Is the radiator going to be at the front of the engine or at the front of the cab? Is there going to be a sleeper over the engine or are you just going with a REAL L O N G  pick-up bed? Looks kind of low in the front for mounts for the snow plow. Great project. GPster

wayne petty

long bed....   a long bed with a bump in it.. so it covers the motor but maintains   something close to the lower lines of the cab....

but make it a tilt bed...  for motor access.... i seem to recall in one of the truck magazines... air bags that have 4 bellows... so they have a ton of lift.

two or three of those would tilt the long long bed enough to impress anybody..  and be great for delivering things... like plush toys or other nice stuff...

just being silly...  you could even on the long long bed... mold a fiberglass cover that doubles as a slide....

wayne

348tripower

Quote from: "wayne petty"long bed....   a long bed with a bump in it.. so it covers the motor but maintains   something close to the lower lines of the cab....

but make it a tilt bed...  for motor access.... i seem to recall in one of the truck magazines... air bags that have 4 bellows... so they have a ton of lift.

two or three of those would tilt the long long bed enough to impress anybody..  and be great for delivering things... like plush toys or other nice stuff...

just being silly...  you could even on the long long bed... mold a fiberglass cover that doubles as a slide....

wayne

Wayne,
I'm thinkin about the slide :roll:
You are nuts :lol:
GPster,
The drive shaft will be really short, 12 to 18 inches. Got a th400 and a Gear Vendors overdrive to add here.
I'm thinkin a really long pickup style bed. Can haul more post holes that way. :lol:
Don Colliau

wayne petty

me, myself and I thank you for the complement... :lol:

i was serious about tilting the bed with air bags...

maybe even tilt it to the side.... for complete access...

and if i was completely nuts... like many think.... i would be describing a dancing truck bed that spins and wobbles around...   but that would be too much heavy metal... somebody would get knocked down with it...

looking at the pictures... if you put the exhaust headers on backwards... you could run them forward then up behind the cab and install STACKS.. like  a big rig...  

again... just a silly idea.    flame throwers work going straight up right...

wayne....

GPster

Another way of looking at that tilt bed deal , If you're on the road and have a "break-down" while the bed is loaded, you might have to un-load the bed or all the weight of the load will be against the tailgate with the bed tilted up. Because you need bed length and most fleetside bed match the contours of the cab, why don't you use the back of the cab and gutted doors and have the doors so that they will hinge out (suicide?) You could cut the doors so that they would match the contour of the back of the COE cab. You could simplify things and just suicide a pair of cut doors off the front of the bed and maybe not worry about the bed falling on you if you happen to break an air line while working on an engine. GPster

phat rat

Quote from: "GPster"Another way of looking at that tilt bed deal , If you're on the road and have a "break-down" while the bed is loaded, you might have to un-load the bed or all the weight of the load will be against the tailgate with the bed tilted up. Because you need bed length and most fleetside bed match the contours of the cab, why don't you use the back of the cab and gutted doors and have the doors so that they will hinge out (suicide?) You could cut the doors so that they would match the contour of the back of the COE cab. You could simplify things and just suicide a pair of cut doors off the front of the bed and maybe not worry about the bed falling on you if you happen to break an air line while working on an engine. GPster

Whatever you do if you make the bed tilt USE SOMETHING SOLID to hold it up if working under it. Exwifes dad was killed that way. He had it up to do some quick work under it and didn't block it. He never had to worry about it falling again.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.