1955 Olds 88 help needed

Started by Danimal, September 04, 2008, 05:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

I'm looking at a 55 Olds 88. The trans was removed about a year and a half ago by a guy to fix the power brake booster under the driver's seat. The guy skipped town and left the car up on dollies in another guy's garage.

What I need to know is, how does the auto trans go back in? I assume converter into trans and trans to engine but is there a cross member it rests on or does it go into the X brace somehow? I couldn't get too far under it today to get a good look.

Price is really right but I haven't done one of these so I don't know anything about it!

RottenRodney

Quote from: "Danimal"I'm looking at a 55 Olds 88. The trans was removed about a year and a half ago by a guy to fix the power brake booster under the driver's seat. The guy skipped town and left the car up on dollies in another guy's garage.

What I need to know is, how does the auto trans go back in? I assume converter into trans and trans to engine but is there a cross member it rests on or does it go into the X brace somehow? I couldn't get too far under it today to get a good look.

Price is really right but I haven't done one of these so I don't know anything about it!
Humm... Danimal; somethin' smells fishy here. A '55 88 (in proper formation) doesn't have a power brake booster below the driver's seat. There's a master cylinder down low, but it's just forward of the firewall. If it's a power brake car, there'd be a Hydravac unit just under the floor under the brake pedal. Neither of these brake components would require the transmission to be removed for R & R, so instinct tells me if the transmission is out; that's because the car has a 'transmission problem' and there ain't nuthin' cheap inside a Hydramatic.

As far as mounts and crossmembers go; things should become clear once you've wiggled yer way under the car. It's pretty straight-forward stuff down there. Hopefully things aren't scattered all over town.

RR

enjenjo

First off, there is no torque convertor, that thing you are looking at is a fluid coupling. second, it has an Oring between the coupling and the flywheel/flexplate that seals the oil in, it is two pieces, not one like the later stuff. As I recall, in 55 they still used I think, 32 bolts to hold it together. I have a guy in wauseon that has experiebce with the old hydromatics, but they are not cheap to do. The last one he did for me, had nearly $800 in parts, a basic rebuild kit is about $450.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

Thanks, all. No wonder it is so cheap! I'll make sure it moves before I move on it!!

I thought it was a hydrovac system that he said he had rebuilt but the guy drove it into the garage. He's NOT a mechanic and had some kid take it apart to get the hydrovac out. That's why the trans was out. I'll find out more tomorrow, I suspect!

It would be a shame to let the guy scrap out the car, it is in stellar condition. TX car and all. If the trans is out, I'm not investing a ton into it, that's for sure!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Danimal"Thanks, all. No wonder it is so cheap! I'll make sure it moves before I move on it!!

I thought it was a hydrovac system that he said he had rebuilt but the guy drove it into the garage. He's NOT a mechanic and had some kid take it apart to get the hydrovac out. That's why the trans was out. I'll find out more tomorrow, I suspect!

It would be a shame to let the guy scrap out the car, it is in stellar condition. TX car and all. If the trans is out, I'm not investing a ton into it, that's for sure!

Find a stick shift for it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

I've got enough projects! I was looking for a driver. If it will go on its own, I'm good with it, if not, I can put the money towards Court's truck and he can us that!

Crafty

you can get adapters to put chevy transmissions on the rocket engine, one company doing them was/is called tanson enterprises, Im sure there was another but the name escapes me.

The master cylinder sits engine side on the toeboard, just under the column, as others have said the vac unit is under the drivers floorpan between the chassis rail and the X section.

Is the car a 88 or 98 ? is it a holiday model (holidays are hardtop, i.e. no centre pillar).

Danimal

88. Post car, 4 door.

The guy took all of the advice I sent his way and he and 3 buddies (one with lots of experience) are thrashing on her tonight. I live 100 miles away so I went home and did my own thing (hay baler, S10 frame, scrap metal collection, goat chores, garbage night...)

I'll know what he's up to tomorrow. If he still wants what he WAS asking, I can't say 'NO' but if he bumps the price up, I've got plenty of other stuff to * away my money on!

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all of the great info. It will hopefully make this car tick again. Someone will be able to enjoy her, even if it doesn't end up being me. I'm just glad I could help, he was going to cut her up for scrap and part the motor/trans/rear to a guy.