4 bolt axle '65 mustang axle swaps to what 5 bolt axle

Started by Beck, September 04, 2008, 11:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I bought a 65 Mustang tonight on flea-bay. My daughter insists that is what she wants to drive. I don't pick it up until Sun. It is a 6 cly car so I think it will have the 4 bolt lug pattern. I will probably do a disc brake swap on the front which will convert that to a 5 bolt pattern. The rear axle will need to be made to a 5 bolt pattern to put aftermarket wheels on. I did the search on axle widths and came up with the 9" and some of the 8" widths. The 57 - 59 9 inch stuff is all gone here so that is ruled out. I couldn't find any links to the widths of the 8.8 axles. I expect the Exlporer axle is to wide?? The Explorer would give me 4 wheel disc brakes. I like that idea.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
Are the brakes big enough on the '65 to just redrill the 5 bolt pattern into the stock axle?
I don't mind going a little narrower on the axle width. That would allow me to go to a deaper dish wheel.
I understand it is possible to move the rear springs in to allow more tire room also. Does anyone know about this?
I'm a Ford body street rodder, but the '65 is just too new for me to know anything about.
Any early Mustang help would be appreciated.

Fat Cat

Here is some information about swaping on Mustang II stuff it might be of help here.

http://www.enjenjo.com/9inch.html

Beck

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Here is some information about swaping on Mustang II stuff it might be of help here.

http://www.enjenjo.com/9inch.html

I checked that link out already. I also found this one. http://www.nzmustang.com/TechData/9inchdiffs.htm
That shows the 65 Mustang is only 57.25" wide.
The simple solution is to find another 65 with the 5 bolt pattern. Unfortunately I don't know where that would be at. A Maveric with an 8" would work great too, moving the wheels in a little. They are all gone around here too. With the price of junk metal, and the number of rods being built supplies are becoming limited.
This is what started me thinking about the 8.8 stuff. Some of the late models is a different bolt pattern too, right?

Bib_Overalls

I would contact Moser.  They can advise on re-drilling your current axles and they will do the job for a reasonable price (but the shipping will eat you).  If not, they can make new axles for you.  When I got mine they were $150 each plus studs and bearings.  About $400 total.  Sounds like a lot.  But a lot easier than buying and fitting a new axle assembly, * around with the drive shaft, and hooking up the e-brake.  Around here an Explorer rear with disc brakes brings $250-300.  Drums about $200-250.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

phat46

I've got a '65-'66 Mustang five lug rear sitting outside, complete drum to drum. If it's any good to ya I'll make you a heckofa deal.... :lol:

GPster

Somewhere in the back of my mind there is the thought that the 4 lug early Mustangs where not an 8" rear but a Spicer. I seem to think I remember the same thing about the early 6 cylinder Maverics. There was some reason that you couldn't just change the axels. I just got rid of (almost gave away) '66 Mustang V8 8" and he took it all mostly only wanting the 3rd member because it had a grease fill/drain plug on it. I had already cleaned the spring mounts off the housing so if you want to piece stuff together I'll find out about it. How much horsepower does your daughter need? From what I remember about the back suspension on old Mustangs because they're unibodies the frame is only an upside-down "top hat" and the fourth side is the trunk floor. If the trunk floor goes bad the frame goes from the inside and the bumper mounts go, then the shackles. Someone probably makes a "pro-street" kit that will put frame rails from the bellhousing to the rear bumpers. Or you could put a rear end under it and use newer Jeep wheels that are slightly negativly off-set. I used to have a daughter but she changed into a grown woman that will be 40 next March. GPster

enjenjo

I too have a 65 Mustang 8" rear setting here, but mine is inside, and missing the brakes. The brakes are the same on a six and 8 , so your backing plates would work. Moser will redrill axles for $60 a pair, and then use V8 drums, still available at NAPA
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

phat46 and enjenjo,  I may be getting back in touch with you for one of those axles.

GPster,  I think your right. Those 4 lug axles were not 8" so axles will not swap. If there are complete rear axles available I don't want to have to weld pads back on one that has been "cleaned off". I don't know the rust problems of the classic Mustangs, but your comments all sound true. I have seen photos of one with frame connectors welded in.

I still have the thought of narrowing up the rear a little using a Maveric rear end that already has 5 lug.
I haven't even got the car home yet and here I am figuring out how to cut it up.... I'm totally nuts!

What aftermarket wheels do you guys think would look good on a red 65 Mustang coupe. It will probably get some white stripes. I was looking at the Cragars that look like the Halibrands. They are cheap enough. The American Racing Salt Flats or 5 spokes wouldn't look bad. Then there's a wheel that looks like the old GT40 wheels. The price just keeps getting higher..

48ford

One way out of the problem is to try and find a granada,(the 6 cyl came with 8" rear ends,and they all had disc on the front.
Then just swap everything out.
The granada will git you p/s also and p/b.
The frams go bad in the rear where the shackle is. you can buy tin to replace it,but it will be stronger and last a lot longer if you just use tubing in the rear.
Then to stiffin it up you should put in frame connectors(make your own with the tubing you got for the rear.)your kid will not break the 8" or a 8.8,you realy do not need a 9"
You could get a mustangll front end and get rid of the shock towers.
Check for rust under the battery,the frame rots there.
Check the front floors where they tie into the firewall as they go there too,and the torque boxs.
The bottom of the trunk is the top of the gas tank,the tank just bolts in,and is the trunk floor.
If it's a 65 the 66 dash gauges look a lot better and slip into place.
The cowl area is another rust spot,if she washes it and you get water on the floor,take the dash out and get to work.
The wiring in the trunk runs on top of a pinch weld on both sides so when she gets a ticket for no lights in the back,she probably just tossed her school books in the trunk. I fixed that problem on mine by running the wires inside nylon tubing.
It sounds like it will be a fun project.
Russ
A ton of info on the mustang forums.