14 yr old daughter outsmarts her old man.

Started by Beck, September 04, 2008, 11:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

My 14 year old daughter has been probing about wanting a Mustang when she is old enough to drive. Driving is 2 years away yet so I say "no problem, I can put one together for you." She knows how long it takes for me to build a car so she keeps probing. I realize she is right... The old man is getting slower.
I went to the salt flats a few weeks ago. I am hooked bad! I loved it. Since I have come back I have done nothing with my spare time but study the rule book, search craigslist, and search flea-bay. I have picked out a few perfect projects, but haven't bought anything yet. Building a racer will require lots of work. My daughter keeps prodding. I start looking at old Mustangs.
I found 65 Mustang that looks pretty nice on flea-bay. One thing leads to another. My daughter by my side last night looking at Mustangs for sale and checking this particular one out. She wants it! Late this afternoon the auction is ending. I rush home from work to catch the end of the auction. My daughter picks up on this and again is right by my side at the PC. The car goes a little higher than I want to go, but she has such a pretty smile! I now own a 65 Mustang. I don't know what it is worth (I didn't do any homework). I just know what I paid (wonder if it was to much).
I figure it is a pretty nice car so my building time will be minimal. Maybe that will free up a little more time for that salt flat ride???? Mom doesn't seem unhappy either. If it would have been for me, she would have been furious. Should I start putting a cage and race motor in the Mustang?? Better not!!

river1

i don't think she outsmarted you :oops:  :oops:

you just know who's in charge :lol:  :lol:

says the still single man :wink:  :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Danimal

You don't know what it is worth, yet, but when she fires that baby up for the first time and takes it for a spin, that grin will tell you what it is worth.

Nice job, pops!

Charlie Chops 1940

Aaaah - she's got you right where ya wanna be Pops!. Sounds like a good project. Get her out there with ya -  breakin' fingernails.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Buy another one. I'm sure betweent Two you can come up with enough stuff to build a "Daughter's Car" and a race car. So this is "The Rest of the Story". gpSTER

Beck

Quote from: "GPster"Buy another one. I'm sure betweent Two you can come up with enough stuff to build a "Daughter's Car" and a race car. So this is "The Rest of the Story". gpSTER
The 65 Mustang coupe isn't aero enough for land speed racing. Now if it was a fastback???

Charlie  Her fingernails aren't long enough to break. Right now she has a really pretty purple toe. No it isn't a gothic think, it isn't painted. It's a socker thing. She will gladly come out to the garage and help. That sounds like a plan!

Think I could fab an intake manifold and put one of the superchargers from the 3.8 GM V6's. That would give that straight 6 a little boost, give it throttle body injection... Sometimes dreaming is a lot more fun than fabing, and you can change your mind mid stream without loosing much time or money....

Danimal

Why not swap in a 300 I-6? You can probably get most of the stuff to make it go boom!

A fastback sound like a good back up. You'd better keep looking!

Beck

Quote from: "Danimal"Why not swap in a 300 I-6? You can probably get most of the stuff to make it go boom!

A fastback sound like a good back up. You'd better keep looking!

If it gets a engine swap it will be a small block Ford. I know it's the cookie cutter way to go with these cars but it's just so right.

I will pass of the fastback. If I decide to build a land speed car I have one already picked out. The recent passing of a great land speed motorcycle has me rethinking that whole thing.

57larry

I built a 47 Ford with my daughter, then a 39 then a 40. now she's married and I"m building a Nova for her. good times

Danimal

My brother races a 91 Mustang. He's talked about getting a late 60s version and put all of the 5.0 guts and suspension into it. Sounds like a reasonably good way to go, especially with as cheap as some of the Fox bodied cars are getting. There will be many donor cars, you can pick the best of the best.

I just saw the motorcycle death as well. Sad times.