Aluminum Radiator Question

Started by BFS57, August 25, 2008, 01:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, I finally Broke Down and Purchased an Aluminum Radiator for my 57 Chevy. I, Being frugal (Not ever enough money). Purchased a radiator from that Auction site that looked quite interesting and had all the same elements that the "best ones" seemed to have.
I received it and it looked even better than I imaged. As I was looking it over, I noticed that the fill neck seemed smaller than regular, (which it was) so I took off the cap and looked it over. Everything seemed fine until I looked at the radiator cap that came with the unit and noticed that it was a 1.1 lb Cap!
Is this what aluminum radiators are supposed to use? Did I get a swift kick to the pants? Is everything OK and I'm just being mis informed!
What is your guys experiences with this?
Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I looked at the radiator cap that came with the unit and noticed that it was a 1.1 lb Cap!

Bruce

Is it really marked 1.1 LBS ???

If it is metric, that could stand for 1.1 BAR, which is approx 16 psi.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

BFS57

Hello again;
I really don't know, I just noticed a 1.1 Stamped on the cap and the label saying something (lots of languages) about 1.1 Maybe it is! How can I tell?

Bruce

Beck

Plug either the top or bottom hose opening. Make an adapter on the other opening for an air chuck fitting. Set your regulator very low on your compresor. Slowly turn up the regulator. Make a note where the cap starts to relieve at. Put a balloon on the overflow tube and you will see it blow up when the cap relieves.
If you have a friendly radiator shop nearby they have all the fittings for the hose connections and could do the job quickly. Don't let them put the radiator in their bath to watch the bubbles. Caustic and aluminum don't mix.

enjenjo

You could also use a radiator cap tester. I vote for the 1.1 bar. Metric caps are a bit smaller.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

1.1 would equal about a 16 pound cap.

kb426

Most parts stores have a tester. If you're on good terms with one, let them check it. I have a 14 lb. cap on mine now and am thinking about going up a couple of pounds.
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Thanks for the info, I feel better about this now! The radiator is a monster, It fits right where the stock one goes and (get this) it has 3 rows of 1" tubes, and the person selling states will cool 1000 HP! Looking at it, I really think it will!
Thanks again for your all wealth of knowledge and experience!

Bruce

the yeti

my moneys on 1.1bar so actualy rather high which isnt all together a bad thing