late model head scratcher

Started by phat46, September 08, 2008, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

My neighbor just bought a '97 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP. When she shuts off the vehicle the engine keeps running. I thought the keyswitch would be bad, but her boyfriendsaid that all the rest of the power is killed when you turn off the key, no windows, sunroof, etc. They are pulling the ign. fuse to shut it off now. Someone has been into the wiring, to install a remote start and put different gauge faces on it. I don't know about remote starters, but I knda think someone screwed up with that.

sirstude

The remote starters bypass the ignition switch.  I would guess that is where it is.  Probably put a relay in backwards or something like that.  Does it start with the remote starter?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat46

Quote from: "sirstude"The remote starters bypass the ignition switch.  I would guess that is where it is.  Probably put a relay in backwards or something like that.  Does it start with the remote starter?

Doug

I believe that the remote starter has been removed; my feeling is that someone messed it up when they removed it.

oiler

check that the ignition relay in the underhood junction block is no sticking on
If that's ok I'd head to the ignition switch just so long as the remote start has been removed completely
Jeff