700R4 lock up converter wiring

Started by 47convert, September 04, 2008, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

I've searched everywhere for a wiring daigram for a simple toggle switch operation and haven't had a lot of luck. Everything I've found says the wires are black and white. I have two GM plugs and they both have a blue, a purple and a tan or white wire. Any ideas how to make this work? I'd like to get it working before the weekend with a toggle, then install the vacuum switch/brake switch deal when I have more time. Thanx

1FATGMC

Quote from: "47convert"I've searched everywhere for a wiring daigram for a simple toggle switch operation and haven't had a lot of luck. Everything I've found says the wires are black and white. I have two GM plugs and they both have a blue, a purple and a tan or white wire. Any ideas how to make this work? I'd like to get it working before the weekend with a toggle, then install the vacuum switch/brake switch deal when I have more time. Thanx

You can look at my pages here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/techinfo.html

.... but the problem is that some of them are wired differently inside.  I figured it out with a 200R4 I had without going inside with an ohm/volt meter.  On the 700R4's I've used I got the TCI lockup kit.  It has wiring diagrams with it that will show you how to wire it up and some of that is also on the link above.

Get the TCI kit and be done with it and be a happy camper.  I used the toggle on the 200R4 for a year or so and it is a pain in the a** compared to it automatically locking going in and out of 4th.

I sure hope you have the TV cable set right, both geometrically and adjusted right or you won't have a transmission for long.  It is not that hard to do it right.

c ya,

Sum

47convert

Thanx. I used your info to set the TV cable and it's working great. I'll switch to the right setup but I'm driving a bit tomorrow and would like to lock it up. I put about 300 miles on it already without the lockup.
Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "47convert"I've searched everywhere for a wiring daigram for a simple toggle switch operation and haven't had a lot of luck. Everything I've found says the wires are black and white. I have two GM plugs and they both have a blue, a purple and a tan or white wire. Any ideas how to make this work? I'd like to get it working before the weekend with a toggle, then install the vacuum switch/brake switch deal when I have more time. Thanx

You can look at my pages here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/techinfo.html

.... but the problem is that some of them are wired differently inside.  I figured it out with a 200R4 I had without going inside with an ohm/volt meter.  On the 700R4's I've used I got the TCI lockup kit.  It has wiring diagrams with it that will show you how to wire it up and some of that is also on the link above.

Get the TCI kit and be done with it and be a happy camper.  I used the toggle on the 200R4 for a year or so and it is a pain in the a** compared to it automatically locking going in and out of 4th.

I sure hope you have the TV cable set right, both geometrically and adjusted right or you won't have a transmission for long.  It is not that hard to do it right.

c ya,

Sum

phat rat

I'd be concerned about how hot it's gotten with a slipping converter. I run a trans temp gauge on my car and that was how I realized the converter had gone to pot.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

47convert

Make that 3000 miles. The converter isn't slipping  it's just not locked up like old style transmissions.I just finally got in touch with my tranny guy and he says to run fused 12 volt+ to A terminal and grouns D untill I get the vacuum and brake switches installed. Thanx

Fat Cat

Quote from: "47convert"The converter isn't slipping  it's just not locked up like old style transmissions.

If it is not locked up then there is a certain amount of slippage occuring.

phat rat

If your tranny guy is the one who did the trans and he's not concerned about the heat I'd be looking for a new trans guy. When it doesn't lock up it is building heat very quickly.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"throw the vacuum switches away .

8)

Yep,

Sum