Question for my smart computer friends

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, August 28, 2008, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Is there anything to look for when purcahsing an external hard drive?  or basicly is price just dermined by Gigs of storage?  Anyone buy one lately and get a good price?
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Is there anything to look for when purcahsing an external hard drive?  or basicly is price just dermined by Gigs of storage?  Anyone buy one lately and get a good price?

I have 5 of them, all but one of them are Western Digital. The one that is not is a specialty device that can also be connected to a TV to play pictures, videos or MP3 files. I had a 500 GB drive that failed to run but it was not a drive issue it was a controller issue. Once I took the drive out of the case and plugged it into a computer internally I was able to get my data back. My most recent one was a 1 terabyte drive that I got around christmas time at Fry's for $269 dollars.

I have bought a ton of hardware from Newegg http://www.newegg.com and they currently have a 750GB western digital drive for $119 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136176

sirstude

I am using Buffalo usb drives. They have 7200 rpm SATA drives in them.  The  speed of the disk is important.  7200 seems to be the good ones right now.  These also have turbo boost (whatever that is, some advertising gimmick mostly), but they seem dependable and are definately fast.  We have been sending one back and forth between the Hospital here and some agencys that are doing some mail mining for us.  300 gigs at a time to send.  Been going for for almost a year now, and the drive is fine with all the shipping.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

what you are going to do with it also makes a difference

many are available with both USB 2.0 and firewire.....

having firewire allows it to be a bootable  drive if you have a mac... which most people don't

firewire also works with other digital devices... like some digital video cameras...

HotRodLadyCrusr

Both my laptop and desk top are full of photos and at max capacity.  I've even dialed down the size of the photos I'm taking this year and I've edit albums.  So bacicly just used for photo storage.

Thanks for the input guys.  I do believe the 750Gig that FatCat suggested is the one I'm going to go with.

papastoyss

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Is there anything to look for when purcahsing an external hard drive?  or basicly is price just dermined by Gigs of storage?  Anyone buy one lately and get a good price?
Ha Ha, I thought you were my smart computer friend!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

A word of caution: We've had several WD "my book series and 1 out of 4 works. The ones I have are 320 gig. My thoughts are to get an external without anything extra. We have a 250 gig passport model that works as it should. It's basically a laptop drive, very small and neat. I can't say the same for the my book series.
TEAM SMART

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "papastoyss"Ha Ha, I thought you were my smart computer friend!

LOL, nope, I'm just your smart photo hosting and posting friend :lol:

I did order the one that Frank suggested.  I went to Best Buy to see what they had to offer.  They had the exact same thing but it was $30.00 more.  I think I can wait the 3 days shipping to save $30.  

Thanks again for everyones option.  I should be able to get thru about 800 or so car events till this is filled up  :wink: