700r4 internals swap??

Started by blaze, June 07, 2004, 11:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaze

How do I go about changing the internals from one 700r4 to another??
I have one that has a good case but bad internals an one that has good internals but a bad casing. Any help appreciated, Thanks :?  :oops:  :?
Bomb Squad; If you see me running you better catch up!!! :shock:  :shock:

Crosley.In.AZ

I would suggest you take the two trannys to a guy that has transmission experience.

Quote from: "blaze"How do I go about changing the internals from one 700r4 to another??
I have one that has a good case but bad internals an one that has good internals but a bad casing. Any help appreciated, Thanks :?  :oops:  :?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blaze

There is not a shop around here that will do that for under $375.00 and I am about 375 to short. :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

SDawgz

Quote from: "blaze"There is not a shop around here that will do that for under $375.00 and I am about 375 to short. :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

My suggestion is to find a transmission parts store in your area and buy an A.T.S.G., (Automatic Transmission Service Group), service manual. You can also buy the books online at ATSG's website. The manual should get you through the basics of removing the parts and reinstalling them into the new body. I have rebuilt a few transmissions but I do not have any experience with the 700R4 family.
I personally believe that anyone with decent mechanical skills, several good manuals and some special tools, not to mention a clean work area and a solvent tank can rebuild their own transmissions. I started by taking a couple of classes at a local vo-tech on transmission rebuilding. Transmissions are just machines and like any machine can be repaired by anyone with the right skills.

enjenjo

Quote from: "SDawgz"
Quote from: "blaze"There is not a shop around here that will do that for under $375.00 and I am about 375 to short. :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

My suggestion is to find a transmission parts store in your area and buy an A.T.S.G., (Automatic Transmission Service Group), service manual. You can also buy the books online at ATSG's website. The manual should get you through the basics of removing the parts and reinstalling them into the new body. I have rebuilt a few transmissions but I do not have any experience with the 700R4 family.
I personally believe that anyone with decent mechanical skills, several good manuals and some special tools, not to mention a clean work area and a solvent tank can rebuild their own transmissions. I started by taking a couple of classes at a local vo-tech on transmission rebuilding. Transmissions are just machines and like any machine can be repaired by anyone with the right skills.

With the newer transmissions, it's much harder to get them right the first time than it used to be. From what I have seen, end play on the various shafts and drums is much more critical on a 700 than it was on the older trans. Go for it, but be prepared to do it over if you don't set everything up correctly.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I'd be sure the years of trannys are similar for a DIY person.

With the valve body , separator plates and other differences a person needs to be carefull.  Mismatched parts cause many problems.  

Often books do not point all the areas where things are different.  Such as the line bias valve with a relief & no relief on the valve land. Must have the matching seprator plate or plug a hole when needed

basic hard parts are very similar in many areas.

Watch for worn out bushings, a large cause of failed 700 trannys due to loss of lubrication.

good luck
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blaze

Thanks for the info!!  :D  :D The trannies are a 88(good housing) and 91(good parts) and I'm hoping that is close enuff. I am going to give it a shot next weekend and will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again!!!! :D