Holley Carb help?

Started by 47convert, August 13, 2008, 07:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

My 66 El Camino has a 292 cu. in. small block chevy with a little cleanup on the stock heads, a stock cast iron intake with a 1" aluminum spacer and dual exhaust through the stock manifolds and it has a mild cam. It starts right up and runs great except there's a little black soot on the exhaust pipe tips and it uses a little more gas than it should -- don't they all! I've been searching the web for info on this carb and can't seem to find anything - it looks very much like a single feed 1850, 600 cfm electric choke carb but the number is 1775. I'm thinking maybe it's a GM factory type of carb - not stock to my car but from a GM car maybe. Anyone know about these things? I'm wondering if I should change jets on the primarys and or secondaies and how big they should be - any experts here? Thanx!

UGLY OLDS

On the left front of the air horn you will find a "list#"...  It will say "list 1850...List 4775...list 2290 or something simular.  This will determine the carb you are running... Also see if there is a 7 digit # stamped in the same place ..Ie: 3750123  or something like that ...That will determine if it was on OE carb & again will help to determine what you have .....

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Learpilot

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"On the left front of the air horn you will find a "list#"...  It will say "list 1850...List 4775...list 2290 or something simular.  This will determine the carb you are running... Also see if there is a 7 digit # stamped in the same place ..Ie: 3750123  or something like that ...That will determine if it was on OE carb & again will help to determine what you have .....

Bob........ :wink:
After you find the list # go to www.holley.com and find your carb. Also look at the tech section. A lot of great info.
The first thing to check is ,is it clean inside. Sometimes dirt will make the best carb run bad.
Go up or down only 2 number jets at a time.until it runs the best for you.

47convert

Yep, that's where it says 1775 - above that it says 9895. I can't seem to find the 1775 number at the sites I checked - I'll try these too - thnax