tranny mount

Started by reborn55, August 14, 2008, 06:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

replaced 2nd stock tranny mount(turbo 400) in the 47.  Replaced it with the Energy Suspension type mount.  Same dimensions as the stock mount.  Seemed to have a bit more vibration at the accelerator pedal.  Have been advised to put a piece of neoprene rubber between mount and crossmember.  Anyone have any experience using this type mount--am leaning to replacing the biscuit type motor mounts as I ahve to tighten them up periodically.  thanks

enjenjo

What kind of trouble are you having with the stock type mounts? Urethane mounts generally are a bit harsher than rubber mounts.

On the biscuit mounts, are all the peices there? There is supposed to be a metal sleeve in the center, around the bolt, so the rubber can be compressed a bit, but still able to move.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

The tranny mount collapsed after only 2000 miles of use--don't know if it is the stiff rear suspension(being replaced after Frog Follies) or the fact that it slams into drive and reverse.  Healthy cam--low vacuum and a little too much idle rpm I guess.  Trying to alleviate changing mounts every 2000 miles or so.  Biscuit mount are all there--13 years old and just seem to work loose.  thanks

enjenjo

Ok, now I understand the problem. Are  you using aftermarket trans mounts? Most of them are now made in India, or Bangladesh and are not very high quality.

Also, if the front mounts are close together, like a 55 to 57 Chevy, it will allow the engine to rock to the side a lot, tearing the trans mount.

reborn55

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, now I understand the problem. Are  you using aftermarket trans mounts? Most of them are now made in India, or Bangladesh and are not very high quality.

Also, if the front mounts are close together, like a 55 to 57 Chevy, it will allow the engine to rock to the side a lot, tearing the trans mount.

I used a NAPA trans mount I had laying around--new--part#620-1031.  Rubber just came apart--so I am trying the Energy Suspension mount--3.1108.  I put a 1/8 inch neoprene spacer in between mount and crossmember(radiator spacer material for tru-five Chevies) and will try tonight--Going to cruise--have picked up another stock mount just in case it doesn't help.  
As far as the enigne mounts go I have the aftermarket crossmember(Heidts I think) with the biscuit mounts for the side mount kit on the small block Chevy.  May be old and weak from not much use the last 14 years.

enjenjo

NAPA mounts are made in India.

reborn55

Found that out this morning.  The one I took off that was only on since March and it was Made in America.  Anyone make a good stock mount

wayne petty

egge machine in santa fe springs puts new rubber into old car motor mounts...    i think it would be a waste of time to do this for a later model motor mount...  but .. it might need to be done...

there is also the possibility... of having a local  truck tire re capper fix them... with fresh new rubber... properly cured...

i have found that on hollow tubular motor mounts can be filled with dynatron/bondo brand product #660...  urethane bumper repair kit...

accept no other brands...  they are not the same material... as the #660

this works really well...  clean the mount with cheep brake cleaner..   tape off one side.. and mix batches and pour them in until it is filled...  let it cure for an hour or so...   or till it cools off...   it gets really hot...  and go with it...

the taurus/sable transmission mount (right side rear) really can use this set up....  the honda guys i have told this to cannot  keep it a secret.. so much stiffer...

now that i have bored all of you...  i take it that the car in question has the  front biscuit type of motor mounts...  and a late model tail shaft mounted trans mount...   this is a ton of weight for a trans mount... more than it was designed for...  this is do to the offset that the motor usually sits on the factory side mounts... 1/3 of the way back on the motor..  

filling an imported replacement trans mount with the 660 product will increase its strength...  that is if it is hollow like many are...  maybe i am mistaken... but this is what i think about it..

or .. you could do like i did with my gto...  rat motor powered...   i just used solid motor mounts.. leaving the scatter shield and muncie just sticking out there..  no cross member at all... i did replace the motor mount and frame bracket bolts with grade 8 flanged bolts and nuts.. and used grade 8 hardened washers to spread the loads in the front cross member...

i really don't think this would be advisable on an automatic ..

hopefully this will help someone..

wayne..

C9

If you're running an engine biscuit mount - 48 Ford round rubber biscuit type - you can cut some biscuits out of UHMW plastic.

UHMW comes in different thicknesses, looks like Teflon, is 70% stronger and not as slippery.

I've been running a set of UHMW mounts in my 32 for 6-8 years with no problems and no vibrational harmonics.

Trans mount is a Pontiac for T-400, it's 16-17 years old, cars been running for 14 years and no probs with it.
Prolly cuz it's American made.

My 31 on 32 rails roadster also has UHMW mounts and an Energy Suspension trans mount.
Haven't run it yet.

The UHMW cuts easily.
Drill a 1/4" pilot hole.
Cut it out with a hole saw.
Drill the pilot hole to the proper bolt size.
Other than a little clean up on any ragged edges, that's it.

Rubber supply houses usually carry UHMW, nice part is it's 1/3 the cost of Teflon, but I wouldn't use Teflon for this application.

Couple pics.
The 31:

The 32:

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

reborn55

Nice setup--thanks for the info.  
Went out and bought stock mount(made in India) and took Energy suspension mount out.  Was about 3/4 inch difference in thickness.  Drove it and about 95% of vibration and moan if gone.
The mount that broke was Made in America and lasted less than 2000 miles.  
Slowly but surely this car is getting better.  Next owner will get a nice one.
Thanks for evryone's help.