new carb designs thoughts....

Started by wayne petty, August 10, 2008, 01:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

why not meld the front of a 4150 with the secondarys of a 4500...

this would require a custom main body, base plate, throttle linkage as the 4500 is internal...   but conventional float bowls and metering blocks could be used...  along with throttle blades and booster venturis..

think of this ... a 390 cfm sized primary...  and an 1100 cfm sized secondary..  gm did it with the quadrajet...  but this would have holley style tunability.. maybe use a 600 cfm size primary.  for larger motor versions..

this would make the ultimate street carb...

i am still trying to get time to design the metering block that has spring loaded idle circuit shut off pistons for circle track racers...  this would increase fuel economy and might make the race for some teams...

my other thought is about the fuel level angles during cornering...

since the fuel is drawn up by vacuum... and a little change in level affects mixture...

are the cornering forces counteracted by the banking so the fuel maintains its level to allow equal  fuel mixtures one the right verses the left venturis.

i have even though about having a carb float bowl cast in clear plastic... putting a float in it... some colored water...  mounting it on the dashboard with a video camera taping it as the car circles the track in practice...   this would give a true representaion of what is happening.... then the fuel angles can be reproduced on a dyno by installing the carb on an angled spacer... or by building a tilting dyno floor...

one of my thoughts is to move the jets and main wells closer together in the metering block...   this would reduce the level angle lean outs on the left side of the carbs... this would also make more room for the high vacuum idle circuit stop pistons...

i wonder if the race teams that win a lot already do this... hmm.....

tilting the dyno would also let racers tune the motor for different tracks...   with automation... one could even tilt the motor to different angles during the high speed dyno runs...

maybe as on the cheep for testing... use a some tubes like jet extensions used in the secondarys for drag racing, but with a 90 degree bend so both jets draw fuel from the right side of the float bowl...

there was an article in a hot rod about a 215 buick powered chain saw that used a predator carb as that one was not affected by the angles the saw goes through...     so there might be some real fixes in my thoughts..   let me know what you think....

Crosley.In.AZ

Electronic fuel injection.

better fuel delivery

better fuel mileage

better engine life

angles does not affect it

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Quote from: "Crosley"Electronic fuel injection.

better fuel delivery

better fuel mileage

better engine life

angles does not affect it

8)
I agree EFI the way to go.
Holley has made a spredbore just like the Q-jet. The list number is 80555C.
I had one on an El Cameno, worked great.
You can find it on there web site www.holley.com

chimp koose

I vote for the predator carb. I ran one once and couldnt believe the difference in TORQUE. The carb was not even set up right.Some people have filled their float bowl in circle cars with foam and used a return line in the sight plug hole to maintain proper fuel level. no fuel slosh that way.