The first 1,000

Started by houston54, August 06, 2008, 07:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

It came much quicker than I thought it would.  I guess I was just having too much fun to really notice but in the first 33 days of driving my truck I reached a milestone – 1,000 miles.

So what do I think of the results of 5.5 years of sweat, blood, rust, paint, money, frustration, imagination, innovation , etc?  I think I like it.  Of course during those 1,000 miles I have identified several issues and changes I need to or have addressed to make the truck even better.  

The list includes;
- Chunking the Flowmaster 40 mufflers (too much resonance) – replaced with Summit Turbo mufflers on interim basis (sold the Flowmasters today),
- Removing what was left of the 3 inch aluminum lowering blocks and replace them with 2 inch blocks of my own fabrication from 4 x 2 x 3/16 rectangular steel tubing,
- Replacing the rear shocks with ones of proper length to replace the originals which were too long,
- Have the driveshaft lengthened to ensure proper engagement with trans tailshaft,
- Ordered a 16 gal gas tank from Tanks, Inc to replace the 18 gal camaro tank I am currently using which did not permit enough clearance to run tailpipes out the back without interferences,
- Identified that the Dolphin quad gauges I am using are really pretty cheap units.  The back lighting between the two gauge buckets is significantly different, the oil pressure sending unit is suspect, and the water temp gauge reading fluctuates.  Not very impressed and will probably upgrade in the near future.  You get what you pay for it seems,
- Replace the current intermediate steering shaft with u-joints and DD shaft.  Currently using the shaft from the donor trans am but the upper u-joint is worn out resulting in a sloppy steering feel.  The lower rag joint probably does not help either.

All in all the truck does work well in most regards.  Being 5'-19" it goes without saying that interior room could be better but the seating position is workable for around town and commuting.  Long drives in the truck may include more rest stops than normal in order to stretch the ole legs.

What do I still need to do to complete the truck?  Well I need to purchase and install the AC system, decide how I am going to finish out the hood – Louvers/Bead Rolling/Leave alone, and install a sound system that I will now be able to enjoy without a constant exhaust drone.

I am enjoying the completion of this truck as it represents many hours of effort together with my son in a garage that was either too hot, too cold, or too small.  I learned many lessons during this build that I hope translate over to the next one.  I surprised myself actually in that I could take the time and produce a truck of this caliber.  Is it show quality? - NO but it is ROAD quality and it is safe, sturdy and strong.  I think I hit the target I had in mind when we started.  I extend thanks to everyone who provided me with ideas, suggestions and cautions.  

It also feels good to bring something back to life that probably should have been sent to the crusher.  Getting compliments from friends and strangers is also rewarding but the best thing about the first 1,000 miles and all the miles hereafter is..

I get to drive something unique and different.

See y'all on the road
);b(

phat46

Congrats on the milestone. Great looking truck!

Charlie Chops 1940

Even when they're done they're not. Nice looking truck.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Danimal

Nice job. Can't wait to be able to say I've reached a similar milestone with my boy's truck. He got his permit so now the heat is on!

HotRodLadyCrusr

Congrats on the milestone!   8)
They are pretty significant in my world as well.  Tuesday night I went to dinner with a friend and took a drive down my favorite parkway in Big Olds cuz I knew 80,000 miles on the OD was just a couple of miles down the road.  Was a special night indeed.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

57larry

with a 1,000 miles under your belt, it sounds like you're ready for a road trip, a really long road trip

Mikej

I'm with Denise. We are getting close to 50000 miles. We don't go the distances she does but go often. It took several years to get all of the bugs worked out. Keep driving......