Dash Ign. Switch

Started by chopped, August 01, 2008, 07:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopped

Know how to get one out without a key? Already had keys made from door lock code, no dice. Have new set ordered. 64 Buick Skylark.

tomslik

Quote from: "chopped"Know how to get one out without a key? Already had keys made from door lock code, no dice. Have new set ordered. 64 Buick Skylark.

slide hammer works   :wink:

just don't do it if the dash is plastic/fiberglass... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

there are rocker type lock picks for gm cars...   double ended... various cuts. rock them for several minutes each...  they work most of the time.'

it is usually easier and cheeper to replace the entire lock and switch..

most door and truck locks can be rekeyed.. or replaced... as most parts are still available... from strattec  or aftermarket replacments..

i did run across a web site a while back that had all of the lock parts catalogs for gm and a few other cars that used briggs and strattion locks...

i don't know what i did with the site...

chopped

I'm thinking 38 at close range. I have a complete new set of locks on the way. Need this one out.

model a vette

An old locksmith will usually have a bunch of old GM keys. They just keep trying them until they get one that will turn the cyl. There were not that many key codes on older GM cars. Maybe you could borrow some from a locksmith by leaving a deposit.
Once you can turn the cyl you just turn it counterclockwise, insert a pin into the hole in the face, continue turning and the lock cyl should pop out.

If you don't care about the ign switch you can drill out the cyl.
Ed

enjenjo

QuoteIf you don't care about the ign switch you can drill out the cyl.

I've done this before, use about 1/4" drill.

As far as I know, GM only used seven key cuts until 67. My dad had a 50 Buick, a 58 Buick, and my 62 Chevy that all used the same key. I have a ring of old keys, and usually have one that fits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

here are some part numbers from AZ

Lockworks / Lock - Ignition (Cylinder & Keys)
LC14210

Wells / Lock - Ignition (Cylinder & Keys)  LS474

Duralast / Ignition Switch  LS478

this switch looks like is has a hole a key way light that fits in a bracket behind the lock..

there is also a delco ignition switch shown in the pic below for a 66 .. they don't go farther back on line        oops... different electrical plug pattern

jaybee

"There were not that many key codes on older GM cars."  My Dad learned that when he was a Chev/Olds mechanic in the early 60's.  One day a customer came in who had unlocked and started someone else's car before realizing it wasn't his!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

In the early 70s, I was working for a constuction company. One morning the boss was late, and we had a bunch of trucks that had to deliver supplies to varios jobs. with my keys, and my brothers keys, we were able to get 6 trucks, all Chevys, started and on the way to the jobs. there was one we couldn't get going, it was a Ford, and no one had a key for a Ford.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chopped

I should have kept all those keys that hide in drawers. Just going to drill it out, ordered a complete set for the car for less then  the cost of a locksmith. Thanks everyone.

wayne petty

when i worked for the cad restoration shop i ask for the keys of a car that had just come in from a garage for the last 25 years...   the partner came out with a coffee can full of keys... he tried them until he found one  to fit... then i watched as he tagged it and handed it to me...

i looked at him... and the 80 + other cars in the back yard.. and told him about the idea to not just find a key and put it in a car ... that reduces the amount of keys in the can... and reduces the chance of  finding one that fits...       i went up to the wholesale locksmith supply and bought them a box of original gm key blanks...  primary and secondary...  then the cars had proper keys... and the can stayed behind the machined solid aluminum door..

oh... and for the 50's & 60's ford guys... the tear drop door locks are also available... its just trunk cylinders that are hard to find for those...