Edelbrock carb flooding

Started by Roadstar, July 31, 2008, 07:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadstar

Just fired a customers car and all was good for the first few miles and then it just died idling in the driveway, gas was dribbling in from the venturi

Started it up again and it would run with a bog, and then after shut down it would flood real bad.

IT was slightly hot but not boiling over or anytbing.

I am wondering if there is too much fuel pressure. I have a holly pump with 7.5 pressure. and the carb says not to use any over 6 lbs .

Or maybe the float stuck or too high. the carb is brand new out of the box.

Any one else have a new edelbrock carb acting up like this ever.

34ford

Yes they do like less pressure.  Mine works best around 4-5 #.

C9

Fuel pressure like 34Ford says.

With full float bowls, turn off the pump - pull fuse etc. - and see how it runs.
If it's idling ok, turn the pump on and see what happens.

Another thing to look at is to check the metering rods for
straightness.

My dual quad setup runs 500 cfm Carters - same carb as the Edelbrock - and it had a bent metering rod in the back carb.

It stuck after a few hundred miles and along with running bad, it was dribbling gas inside.
It ran like it had the baddest cam in the world and the choke was pulled out, but got me home.

Pull the metering rods, remove piston, lay rod on a flat surface - piece of thick glass, surface plate etc. - hang the short leg over the side and roll the metering rod back and forth.

If it's bent, even mildly, it will be obvious.

My bent rod wasn't too far out of whack, but it eventually hung up.

Easy to straighten with needle-nose pliers, go slow.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Roadstar

Well I changed the pump to a carter stock replacement unit. I just test drove it about 20 miles across town in 85degree heat and it worked flawless.

It seems to be ok but I still want to drive it more before I hand over the keys.

But it makes sense that too much fuel pressure would push the needle off the seat.

By the way Jay, the Holly was also a mechanical pump.

Thanks for the help fellas.

C9

Great that you got it running ok.

I didn't realize Holley made a mechanical pump.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

34ford

Should have mentioned that I have the stock carter pump electric fuel pump that's rated @ 5 psi.

bob