Chevy Vortec 4.2 I6 Trailbalzer Engine

Started by Learpilot, July 16, 2008, 07:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Has anybody ever used this engine in a Hot Rod or a Truck ?
My Son thinks it would be a great engine for his 65 Chevy C-10 Truck.
From the pictures I have seen the computer is mounted on the engine, so that may help in hooking up the EFI. I don't know what transmission comes with these engine, may be a 4L60 or 4L80 ?
Thanks, Rick

Charlie Chops 1940

Haven't seen one used in a hot rod yet, but they are great engines. I'm on my second Trailblazer and really like it. I get real close to 15 mpg towing my 7X16 box with the track roadster in it. 21-22 on the highway.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

zzford

I don't know of anyone useing the Trailblazer engine, either, but I think it would make a good choice. They are a neat looking motor and are silky smooth. Performance in the Trailblazer is not what I would call necksnapping and eye blinding, adequate, seems more correct. The rated 275 horsepower should make for some decent performance in something lighter, though. Ebay prices seem very reasonable for used units.

Charlie Chops 1940

The 2007 I have is rated at 291 ponies. If I remember right they take the horsepower reading at 7000. When I give it WOT it shifts at almost 6500.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

jaybee

GMs engine department really seems to have its act together these days.  They're building a lot of good units from the Ecotec to the LSx series.  Highly tunable through flashing the PCMs, too.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Danimal

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Haven't seen one used in a hot rod yet, but they are great engines. I'm on my second Trailblazer and really like it. I get real close to 15 mpg towing my 7X16 box with the track roadster in it. 21-22 on the highway.

Charlie

You must have the 4x2? I've got the 4x4 and I'm pushing it to get 20 on the highway. Usually 17-18 is a good number. Put a trailer behind it and I'm at 10. Any trailer. Flat. Horse. Empty. Loaded. 10. Then again, it is a 2004 with 188,000 miles on the original engine! Exhaust manifold was changed about 100k ago when it split at the outlet in like 4 places. The dealership broke a stud off removing it and they wanted 5 hours to pull the head off to fix it so it is 1 stud down!

I just figured I could do nearly this with a 305 and OD and not have to mess with the wiring.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Danimal".................I just figured I could do nearly this with a 305 and OD and not have to mess with the wiring.

Heck you could do it with a 5.3 LQ motor or just a 350 vortec motor,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

Danimal,

It's a 4wd 2007 unit with 3.42 gears. The best towing mileage comes between  55 and 60. Hardly know it's back there other than the hills.

When I took the trailer and the roadster to Columbus last week it was right on 15.0 when I got there. On the way back it got windy out of the west and fell to 14.4 by the time I got back in Muskegon.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

photo of the bell housing pattern on the 4200 engine by GM
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Thanks for all the info.
What is the transmission in the picture ?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Learpilot"Thanks for all the info.

4L60E trans.  I have not seen this 4200 inline 6  engine with any other transmission
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Learpilot"Thanks for all the info.

4L60E trans.  I have not seen this 4200 inline 6  engine with any other transmission
THANKS !!!!