Steering Wheel Rejuvenation?

Started by Bruce Dorsi, June 13, 2004, 01:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

I've got a Ford tractor steering wheel which is suffering from exposure to the elements.

The glossy surface of the wheel is long-gone, and now my hands get covered with black residue from the 51-year-old steering wheel.

I prefer NOT to apply the commonly used wrap of electrical tape, nor do I want a lace-on cover.

Will a coating of glossy paint adhere to the degrading surface, or must it be sanded first?  

Is there a more suitable coating that you can recommend?

The surface is not split or cracked, so no repairs need to be made.  .....I just want to stop the black "chalking" and slow degradation for another 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any help! :b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Most Marine stores have a good quality black epoxy paint in spray cans. clean the wheel with thinner, and spray a couple coats of that on it. It will hold up for years.

What model Ford do you have? I have a Ferguson TO30. Dad bought it new in 1953.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"What model Ford do you have? I have a Ferguson TO30. Dad bought it new in 1953.

I have a 1951 Ford 8N with a backhoe, front-end loader, and Sherman step-up/step-down. .... I totally rebuilt it from one end to the other a few years back.

I also inherited a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee (NAA) which I upgraded with a 172ci engine, as used in the 800 series tractors.

IMO it's hard to beat the old Fords and Fergies!  ...At least, for my needs.

Thanks for the advice on the steering wheel paint!

enjenjo

Don't have a spare Jubilee hood do you, need one for a project.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"Don't have a spare Jubilee hood do you, need one for a  project.

Sorry, Frank, no extra sheet-metal.    

It's hard to find good sheet-metal in this area, since very few tractors are scrapped here.

enjenjo