Make it all pretty?

Started by jaybee, July 05, 2008, 11:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Some cases are clear cut.  If you want an AMBR contender everything had better be perfectly finished when they stick their flashlights and dental mirrors in the little nooks and crannies.  For a rat rod anything rusty is just prefinished.  What about in between?  Specifying a driver that you still want to be shiny on top and look nice, do you strip everything bare or hit whatever is hidden but solid (example; roof inside) with rust converter and call it good?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

jaybe, I have been wondering about the same thing.I will hopefully be doing this stuff this summer . I keep thinking that I dont want to have to go back years later and fix stuff where rust might appear. I have been thinking about mixing up some of that lizard skin sound and heat suppression paint with tremclad or rustoleum and covering all unseen surfaces that way. By the way there is a link off a thread on this site that gives the lizard skin recipe.I just have to finish all the welding fab work before I start the undercoating,I dont want to burn paint or scrape it off to go back and finish/change something.

kb426

I used the ceramic coating and Ramaudio mat all over the inside. I painted the underneath side of everything. It's not even close to show quality but not ugly everywhere either.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Yeah, I've considered that a big part of what's under/behind the carpet, upholstry, headliner, kick panels, and so forth is going to be covered with Lizard Skin, Dynamat, etc.  In fact I've discovered that the area behind my kick panels probably makes a fantastic sound box.  It's nothing but a big, sheetmetal box from the rockers to the A pilllars, closed on all sides toward the top and open behind the kick panels like the sound hole on a guitar.  Even if someone takes that area apart some day they'll find it covered with mat to stop any drumming.  I hadn't considered mixing Lizard Skin substitute using Rustoleum, but that sounds like a great idea.  Maybe that's because I have very limited experience with Rustoleum, is it really that effective at keeping surface rust from becoming cancer?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tomslik

Quote from: "jaybee"Yeah, I've considered that a big part of what's under/behind the carpet, upholstry, headliner, kick panels, and so forth is going to be covered with Lizard Skin, Dynamat, etc.  In fact I've discovered that the area behind my kick panels probably makes a fantastic sound box.  It's nothing but a big, sheetmetal box from the rockers to the A pilllars, closed on all sides toward the top and open behind the kick panels like the sound hole on a guitar.  Even if someone takes that area apart some day they'll find it covered with mat to stop any drumming.  I hadn't considered mixing Lizard Skin substitute using Rustoleum, but that sounds like a great idea.  Maybe that's because I have very limited experience with Rustoleum, is it really that effective at keeping surface rust from becoming cancer?

i used rutoleums "heavlly rusted metal" stuff (red oxide looking stuff) on my old coe flatbed.
smelled like fish for a month.....attracted cats.....
most pussy i'd seen in years :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

unklian

My understanding is the Rustoleum Primer is GOOD stuff,
lots of Zinc or something.Their paint is intended to go over their primer.

UGLY OLDS

Rustoleum  "Rusty Metal Primer" is just that..For rusty metal..And yes, it's fish oil based....Not like POR 15... Ya just kinda lightly wire brush the metal, make sure it's clean..( No grease or oil/etc ),spray or brush it on making SURE you dont put it where you dont want it..... :? ( Once dry the only way I have found to completly remove it is sandblasting).   I've used the stuff for years on all my street rods...Follow the directions on the can for topcoating ( using rustoleum in colors) , the stuff will be there for ever.....I did the bottom of my Kid's car as a frame off in 1988...Today 85K miles later the bottom of the car can be pressure washed clean...  :idea:  I saw my first street rod about 4 years ago that was built in 1976...The "Satin Black & Battleship Grey" Rustoleum was STILL there...No rust even though the car had been stored outside...Be careful applying the stuff..whatever the overspray hits will be STICKY....The best thing is .....Touch up paint is ALWAYS on sale at ACE hardware.....Country wide.... :!:  :shock:  :shock:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

Bob ,thanks for the tip. I didnt realise rustoleum had a primer. I think they make a high temp paint too.I think it was HOT ROD mag. that did an article on a brush and roller paint job on an old falcon a year or two ago . with enough wet sanding they actually got a respectable finish.The article states that rustoleum is a straight enamel paint.

nzsimon

I have completely gloss finished painted my underside but then I am a magpie
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

phat rat

I used a semi gloss black under the cpe and use Krylon semi gloss black for touch up when needed
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

UGLY OLDS

When I first started building street rods, one of the "Old Guys" gave some sound advice...... :idea:

If you build your car with the correct ride height, anyone in a position to comment on the condition of your frame & undercarriage is in the correct position for you to respond with the "appropriate" answer....Heh--Heh--Heh... :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****