Late model GM EFI fuel line spice ?

Started by unklian, September 29, 2008, 04:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Got a problem with my daily driver barge, '95 Caprice wagon.
(350 LT1 EFI)

The steel lines from the tank corroded and sprung a leak.
No problem,drop the tank,cut the lines off short,attach some hose,reassemble ...

and find out the GM fuel lines have some crazy plastic hose
inside the rubber casing.  :shock:

So is there a way to splice this stuff to some regular hose ?
Any suggestions ?

enjenjo

The NAPA store here carries a repair line with a barbed splicer just for GM cars. Not cheap, but they work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Thanks,we have a NAPA store close by.

Will check them out and see.

unklian

Got the fittings,no problems.

Any reason I can't join the regular fuel hose to the fancy GM hose ?

I don't know what pressures are involved,
and my local mechanic is out of town.

enjenjo

I would not use regular fuel hose. NAPA also carrys EFI fuel hose, not real pricey, and made to hancle more pressure. If your store doesn't carry it, I can get a part niumber for you.

unklian

Getting the hose shouldn't be a problem,
I need to figure how to connect it to the now shortened steel lines.

Buying a new sending unit/fuel pump assembly wasn't in the plan.

wayne petty

goodyear now makes a lined rubber fuel injection hose...   but it still needs to be properly connected... via hose barbs.. to the nylon line..   the nylon line is too slippery to grip to for hose and clamps... the nylon line also crushes under the pinch of the hose clamps...  

i seem to recall that warming the end of the hose in boiling water makes it easier to install without damaging the temper of the plastic...

dorman makes a kit to push repair ends into the nylon hose... not cheep...  but if you worked in a dealership or did fuel injection work... it might pay for its self...

autozone sells it... along with a lot of other stores...   it has a royal blue inner lining..   cannot miss it... 4 bucks a foot +

fuel injection hose has to be able to withstand 200+ psi...   regular fuel line... will blow out at 90 psi...    regular fuel line will fail... regular fuel line will fail...

if it is not printed on the side of the hose... FUEL INJECTION HOSE  it is not...  it will fail..

i hate to drive this home...    but i like people being able to drive home... in their car not a tow truck or an ambulance..

wayne

enjenjo

If you are connecting 3/8" nylon line to 3/8" steel line, use this weatherhead union 1462X6 remove the insert on the steel tube side and it will seal right up. If connecting nylon tube to rubber hose, use this weatherhead fitting 1466X6 This will connect the nylon tube to 1/4" pipe, then a pipe to hose barb adapter to the size hose you have.