Here then Auto Zone

Started by GPster, June 24, 2008, 11:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

On the way to empty my mobil compost pile I got the check engine light. Last time I got it I was down a quart of oil. It burns/loses a quart between oil changes so I figured it was that but I pulled over to check it anyway. It was but there was no problem with pressure so I unloaded the bed first. Then went looking for a quart of oil. Tractor Supply was just over the hill so I tried there. Most of the oil they had was in 5 gallon containers and the only small quantities they had was 5 quart. The light didn't come on in the flat parking lot but a little decline in the road brought it back on again (level switch?). Found a quart at Speedway, put it in, level up and ok started it up and the light was out til I started moving. Checked all the gauges and all the levels, running, idle, performance all ok but the light is intermittant (not flashing) while moving. I have enough problems with my concentration while I'm driving. I had an 80 mile trip to pick-up a grand daughter and the a return trip and I didn't want to drive it with a light coming on and off. I didn't want to be broken down on the Interstate with grand daughter in the car either so I left it home and took the wife's car. Maybe it's trying to tell me something. Maybe it heard me stacking stuff for the Swap Meet at Cinematic an it doesn't want to go. Enough for the sad story. now the specifics. '89 Ford ranger, 2WD, 2300CC 4 cyl. (dual sparkplug heads), PS, PB, Auto, 131,000 miles and it still has the catalytic converter on it. Opinions (about the truck)? GPster

rooster

get the codes read, might be something not related to oil. my guess! :D

wayne petty

the check engine light will come on for a bunch of reasons...

did you book mark this link yet....

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm

i know that there is a guide for your truck as i was looking up a 90 2.9 4x ranger last night...

there is also more info at www.therangerstation.com but that is a site for offroad types..

it takes a diagnostic tool to access the trouble codes...    and you can only get trouble codes out of that one...  no live data...

look for KOEO tests first... then KOER tests once you find someone with a tester...  

and the engine has to be at operating temp before you do either.. or it will throw codes that are not really there....

at the end of the koer test... it asks you to spin the steering wheel..  and work the overdrive switch.. while pushing the brake..

flip the wheel fast... back and forth...
pump that brake.. once or twice.. flip that switch... then watch ....  it will tell you to crack the throttle...    it want a top fuel punch the loud pedal sort of speed... for a half second... not overreving the motor.. but in opening the throttle blades..

this wide open throttle on the throttle tests the detonation sensor...  again... half a second..   just barely enough time for the engine to accelerate.. but to wide open throttle on the shaft..    open closed.... thats it...

the reason i am trying to get this across is that someone else took a lesson over the phone...  and overrevved the heck out of the motor...

it takes at least 10 minutes to do the 2 tests properly... just to get codes...   write the codes down...   then read up on them and post the codes... as continious codes or memory codes...

oh... and if you don't have a scan tool... some of the autozones will get codes out for you....

edit
direct page to trouble codes..

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/7f/c0//large/0900c15280077fc0.gif

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/7f/c1//large/0900c15280077fc1.gif

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/7f/c3//large/0900c15280077fc3.gif

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/7f/c4//large/0900c15280077fc4.gif

this is just a sample of what is there

GPster

I can't really concentrate on this but every time I read it I pick up something else. I started checking under the hood for loose connections last night and I found a switch/sensor on the power steering line that had rusted and separated. I had no change in RPM working the steering wheel so maybe that was someting. Went to autozone this morning and described the switch and there was nothing shown on his scan. Then I went out and got the piece that was still hooked to the wiring connection and he looked again and he found it, but it was NA. Then he looked at an assortment of switches on the screen and found someting and the computor said he had it in stock. He took it off the shelf and we compared it an it was it. I didn't want anyone to scan for trouble codes until I fixed something I knew was bad. Then I asked him if they could scan/read the codes (?) and he said that they couldn't check anything older than '97 and that that switch probably wouldn't give the check engine code. I did pick up from wayne that after ithe engine reached operating temp that you should rock the wheel fast so I would have thought that a sensor on the power steering line might have some bearing on check engine. Opinions vary. The old time fix of disconnecting the battery and letting it re-sent itself didn't work. So maybe the ignore the light until the engine quits is an option? GPster

rooster

my 87 f150 will throw a code for the steering, infact its been throwing that code for 13 years now. I would sure think auto zone would have a reader for your ranger,maybe not. :(

Mikej

I've had several ranger over the years and the check engine light was always on. My current truck, a 2004, has been ok so far. I used to put a piece of tape over it. The dealer would reset it and 5000 miles later it was on again. The one service manager would ask, did you fill up with the engine running, of coarse. He didn't know what was wrong either.
 I think the low oil light is different than the check engine light.

GPster

The light's out (and I didn't unplug it). I went ahead and changed that switch on the power steering line. The light came on while starting and then went out as normal. Drove it over town, parked it and shut it off. On re-starting and driving home every thing continued as normal. It's smarter than me but we're friendly again. GPster

wayne petty

congratulations...  welcome to the world of fixing electronic engine controls.....

sorry my description was so garbeled..

fords from 85 to 95 are eec 4 and eec5 they use the ford specific data connector under the hood...

in 96 they switched to the obd2 connector under the dash..

that has been the new standard .. they have added to that with CAN... controler area network...  usually 2002 and up... this controls the lights and other electrical items... using data through the wires... this reduces the amounts of wires... and increases headakes for car owners...  more parts to break.. remember the labels on electronics... no user serviceable parts in side...  that label is coming soon...     if it dies... just replace it..  the whole car...

tomslik

Quote from: "GPster"The light's out (and I didn't unplug it). I went ahead and changed that switch on the power steering line. The light came on while starting and then went out as normal. Drove it over town, parked it and shut it off. On re-starting and driving home every thing continued as normal. It's smarter than me but we're friendly again. GPster

go get  the codes cleared so if a new one pops up, you'll know it's new.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Quote from: "wayne petty"sorry my description was so garbeled..
Don't appoligize. Better your exacting description than "You should have know that" that I could have gottrn from someone else. I bought an '86 Ranger new and they asked me if I wanted FI or carburated and I got a carb then. Had an '83 that had a head and carb off a '76 Pinto on it and I have no doubt as to why. Unfortunately with the condition of my brain after my accident these things almost bring me to tears. It turned out well today. Thanks all. GPster