Seems to have a Pat. June 15 on it.

UGLY OLDS

PAINFULL .... :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

38HAULR

Looks old for starters,  locking clamps.........Frank.

phat rat

it's a whatcamucallit used on a thigamajig!

A denuter to be used on team smart members when they get to intimate with the wooleys
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dusty

For pulling wheel bearings...

Dusty
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

GPster

What is the width of the flat spot in the jaws (1 3/4")? Maybe it's some kind of clamp for putting leaf springs back together if you remove the center bolt to grease between the leafs. GPster

38HAULR

For  the leaf spring application I would prefer the jaws to have a flat as in a bench vise.........Frank.

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"What is the width of the flat spot in the jaws (1 3/4")? Maybe it's some kind of clamp for putting leaf springs back together if you remove the center bolt to grease between the leafs. GPster
Re-thinking it, Maybe it's for wedging leafs on springs apart enough to get grease between the leafs. GPster

Carnut

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "GPster"What is the width of the flat spot in the jaws (1 3/4")? Maybe it's some kind of clamp for putting leaf springs back together if you remove the center bolt to grease between the leafs. GPster
Re-thinking it, Maybe it's for wedging leafs on springs apart enough to get grease between the leafs. GPster

Ok, I guess I can go with the wedging leafs on springs apart for inserting oil or grease or rubbing material between the leafs.

Not sure why I would do that instead of just disassembling the leaf pack and cleaning and lubricating the leaves and reassembling.

But maybe in a quick service shop it might have been something useful.

wayne petty

if that is what it was for... and it looks like it would do the job perfectly..

it was for a service station mechanic...   if you could open the spring ends to lube them...  you got the job done in minutes to beat flat rate...

and you could do it without smashing your fingers

Carnut

Ok Thanks everyone, the guy who was asking what the thing was has further investigated and found the original patent filing for the gadget.

It does appear to be a spring leaf separator device for lubing between spring leaves.