700R4 in a chevelle or Elky chassis?

Started by 47convert, June 13, 2008, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

Anyone have any experience putting a 700 R 4 behind a small block in a 1966 Chevelle or ElCamino chassis? I'd like to do this soon but don't want my ElCamino off the road for more than a few day this time of year. I love my 4.11:1 rear end but I know it would be a lot nicer to drive with the OD.

Charlie Chops 1940

If you have a 350 turbo now you will need to move the trans mount back or in some way accommodate the increased length to the tranny mount. You will need a shorter drive shaft. You need to have on hand the TV cable bracket appropriate for your carb.

Look at Sums site - purplesagetradingpost - for some good info on the installation.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

47convert

Thanx Charlie. I figured on some of that. I'm wondering more about if there's enough physical room there. I have one in my '34 Ford and it took a bit more room than the 350TH if I recall.

Charlie Chops 1940

400 turbos went in the same location and they are rather large. Isn't that a perimeter style frame? Shouldn't be any side clearance issues.

Google ought to be able to locate a GM automatic trans size chart somewhere for ya.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

48ford

If you don't have the tranny yet, Look into a 200R4,they are the same length as the 350 turbo,so you will not need to redo your drive shaft.
I have one behind a 400 chevy in the 46 ford.
I think it is bow tie overdrives that makes a slick adaptor for te carb that makes adjusting easy.( I just played with mine till i got it.)
also you need a way to lock up the converter,purplesage has the answers.
hope this helps
Russ

Canuck

As Charlie stated, the crossmember has to be moved back and new mounting holes drilled in the bottom frame flange.  Shorten the drive shaft.  As far as fit the trans hump will need a bit of massaging with a hammer on the passenger side just at the top of the hump area, so there is a install and remove to determine the exact area.  Speedo cable works OK.  Cooler lines are very close to a 350 location so a little tweaking takes care of them.  If you are using a column shift the neutral start can be adjusted to work correctly and the quadrant lines up fairly close the only thing is "L" os off the scale and the bottom of the column would need a bit of trimming to allow the lever enough travel.  Follow Purplesage's tips and make sure the carb linkage has the correct ratio and travel.  Lock up control can be handled by a pressure switch in the tranny, a cruise control type brake light switch to disconnect power when brakes are applied and a vacumm switch to unlock under acceleration (got mine from a Astro van, they are easy to get at under the hood).

If you are looking for a bit of a higher stall with a lock-up, check out a V6 S-10, they have the same stall as a Vette or Impala SS, around 2500.

This is a summary from my install in a 64 Malibu.

Good luck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

tomslik

one thing to be aware of is that elkys and convertables have boxed frame and they have tabs welded to the frame rather than the crossmember just sliding on top of the lower flange.
what this means is you MAY have to do some welding to move the crossmember back.
i haven't done one so i can't say for sure...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

Depending on which length 350 tailshaft you have, you may not need to shorten the driveshaft. You will however have to move the trans mount back 2 inches
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"Depending on which lenght 350 tailshaft you have, you may not need to shorten the driveshaft. You will however have to move the trans mount back 2 inches

If you have a boxed frame, the new holes you need are already drilled in the bracket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

47convert

Thanx for the great info guys. I did the swap today using my buddy's hoist and I was home by 5:00/ What a great swap. We did need to drill one hole on each side for the crossmember but other than that it went very smooth. The driveshaft fit perfectly. The only problem is my stock floor shift won't go into anything lower than drive. The shifter arm hits the tailstock flange and there's not much room to rework the arm. I think I may change to a ratchet type cable shifter anyhow. My speedometer is right on the money now according to my GPS where it was 20% off before due to the 4.11 : 1 gears installed a little while ago.

Canuck

Check with Year One, they had a kit to adapt the stock floor shift to a 700r.

That is if you want to keep it!
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

47convert

Quote from: "Canuck"Check with Year One, they had a kit to adapt the stock floor shift to a 700r.

That is if you want to keep it!

Thanx. I found the same deal at (I think) Ekart Chevrolet and have it ordered.