Lost steering......

Started by Sean, June 10, 2004, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Lost steering in my F100 this morning. Not a good feeling when you are coming down the on-ramp to the Interstate at 70 mph with an 18 wheeler right beside you.

Luckily, my alignment is pretty close and it happened at the end of the ramp, so I was right in line with the shoulder and was able to coast to a stop. I never hit the brakes for fear of it pulling to one side if I did.

Once I got it stopped and got the hood open, I found that both of the studs that go through the Rag-Joint were gone :shock:  One of them was still setting on top of the frame, so I can only assume that the other had fallen out sometime earlier. Too much of a coincidence for both of them to fall out at once.

I had replaced the Rag-Joint a couple months ago and used the new studs that came in the Kit. They had lock washers, but apparently they were either Junk, or just didn't get a good bite. The stud that was laying on top of the frame didn't have any visible damage, so I think the nut just backed off it.

I just finished putting a new Rag-Joint and new studs on it and I am going to put a spot-weld on each nut at work tomorrow. I'm not taking any chances of that happening again.

I think I used up a couple years worth of luck all at once this morning. The road that I had just come off of is nothing but curves, trees, and deep ditches. On the other hand, if it had happened after I made the transition onto the interstate, I would have been screwed as well. It couldn't have picked a better time to let go.

58 Yeoman

Sean, I think I picked up that stud in my tire last week. :lol:  You were pretty lucky. Was the kit made in China? Their steel is junk. I changed all the bolts holding my MC jack together, as I heard that someone had one that broke a bolt (Sears).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Sean

I think it was made in China. I got it at Autozone.

Is that why they are buying all our scrap? Mixing our good steel with their Junk to make it a little better?

Kctom

Quote from: "Sean"Lost steering in my F100 this morning. Not a good feeling when you are coming down the on-ramp to the Interstate at 70 mph with an 18 wheeler right beside you.

Luckily, my alignment is pretty close and it happened at the end of the ramp, so I was right in line with the shoulder and was able to coast to a stop. I never hit the brakes for fear of it pulling to one side if I did.

Once I got it stopped and got the hood open, I found that both of the studs that go through the Rag-Joint were gone :shock:  One of them was still setting on top of the frame, so I can only assume that the other had fallen out sometime earlier. Too much of a coincidence for both of them to fall out at once.

I had replaced the Rag-Joint a couple months ago and used the new studs that came in the Kit. They had lock washers, but apparently they were either Junk, or just didn't get a good bite. The stud that was laying on top of the frame didn't have any visible damage, so I think the nut just backed off it.

I just finished putting a new Rag-Joint and new studs on it and I am going to put a spot-weld on each nut at work tomorrow. I'm not taking any chances of that happening again.

I think I used up a couple years worth of luck all at once this morning. The road that I had just come off of is nothing but curves, trees, and deep ditches. On the other hand, if it had happened after I made the transition onto the interstate, I would have been screwed as well. It couldn't have picked a better time to let go.

Sean, yes indeed the hot rod gods were on you side. One word "LOCK TITE. Pick you color and apply a drop. My wifey has my wedding ring lock tited on my finger
TOM

SKR8PN

I want to know how long it took you to get that "pucker" ,and the "skid mark" out of the seat :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Sean

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I want to know how long it took you to get that "pucker" ,and the "skid mark" out of the seat :lol:

A while.... :wink:  :)

enjenjo

I won't trust lock washers on any critical component. I use Stover type lock nuts on everything. Comes from my truck background.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Comes from my truck background.

I thought you had lost some weight.  :oops:

oh,,,,,  that background
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

Just got back from the power tour, rode east with Rizzo from R&C - he lost the drag link on his roadster p/u at 70 mph.  Went down the embankment in the center divider, luckily he wasn't hurt.  He said he saw his life flash in front of his eyes in the process.
I found out Goodrich T/A radials are junk in the rain - put the Torino sideways at 50 mph getting on a freeway.  Every time I hit the gas or brakes they were sliding.  I'm careful not to get any cleaners on the tread so I'm sure that's not the problem.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Leon"Just got back from the power tour, ......

I found out Goodrich T/A radials are junk in the rain - put the Torino sideways at 50 mph getting on a freeway.  Every time I hit the gas or brakes they were sliding.  I'm careful not to get any cleaners on the tread so I'm sure that's not the problem.

Welcome back Leon.  I see you did 5425 miles.  I've been catching up with everyone's adventures on the Yahoo Group site.  As usual it sounds like everyone had different stories to tell.  I've always had fun on Power Tour and miss going.  Maybe next year.

I don't know if it's the T/A radials or not that made you go sideways.  At least my 275/60 T/A's are pretty good in the rain.  I've found that some ramps going onto freeways can be just like ice when it rains because of diesel fuel slopping out of freshly topped off trucks.  We've got a cloverleaf type on/off ramps at a large truck stop and there have been a number of accidents from the slippery ramps when it rains.  I went down on my motorcycle there once and I had absolutely no control at all.  That little experience made me avoid those ramps near truck stops in the rain.

I had some Goodyear Eagle GT's on a car a few years ago that was all over the road in the rain.
George

Sean

Quote from: "Leon"
I found out Goodrich T/A radials are junk in the rain

The Goodrich's on my Truck aren't very impressive in the Rain either. Last time it rained, I was on a blacktop going about 50mph. I dropped into 2nd to pass a guy in one of the few straight stretches on this particular road, and when I nailed it I immediately slid out sideways and almost spun the truck around in the road.

Thats almost as bad a feeling as losing the steering, but not quite... :shock:

Leon

We recently put a set of those Michelien V grooved tires on my father's Lincoln and they seem to do a real good job, plus the car is quieter and is easier to steer than the stock tires that came on it.  They are a bit expensive, however.