A/C Systems -Recommendations or Cautions?

Started by houston54, June 20, 2008, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

There does not appear to be very cut and dried solution to this question.  I talked with a rep of Hot Rod Air today for about 30 minutes.  He made a good case for the vacuum operated system and the serviceability of there unit.  Their options for vents and controls is also attractive.  He also pointed out some specific installation options specific to the 54 so he appeared to have first hand experience.  A very good warranty is also a sign of a strong product in my opinion.

I will try next week to hold the same discussion with Vintage Air next week.

Southern Air is not on the consideration list any longer.  Their site gives very little detail information and no one was able to answer my call today.

The Vintage and Old Air products offered for my truck also have a one piece plenum design which I am not too fond of.  The Hot Rod Air system consists of individual vents and control panels that appears to give me more flexibility in how I install it.  Their cost is also more competitive than the Vintage and Old Air offerings.

I will call and discuss the issues with the other two next week.  Hopefully they will invest as much time as Hot Rod did to provide me with information and answer questions.

The main difference is Vintage is has electric servo controls while Hot Rod Air using vacuum.  Does one really have an advantage over the other?

Thanks for all the replies so far.  

I am in the process of insulating the cab this weekend.  All the stock weather seals have been replaced.  I am using double faced jute as the main insulating material with Dynamat in strategic areas for dampening purposes.  Should I insulate the bottom side of the top cowl?

kb426

I'm a fan of the electric controls. I like running small wires instead of hoses everywhere. On my 53 chevy, I coated the inside of the cab with several coats of Coolcar. I was surprised at the difference it made. The cab was very comfortable after that. I have a roll of insulation called Low-E that is 3/16" thick polyethylene with foil on both sides that I'm going to put on the firewall of the 32. It looks like it will be very good also. Because the engine compartment was so much larger on the 53, I didn't have any problems as compared to a 32 with a full hood. I don't have any idea what your budget is but I would recommend you install one of the liquid ceramic insulations and than some mat or the LOW-E as compared to the jute. Just my opinion, I'm not an expert.
TEAM SMART

Leon

I've installed several different brands and Vintage is the one I like best.  The electric controls work best, no vac. problems.  I've had other brands with noisy blowers where Vintage has always been quiet.  I'm not sure about "Most all these systems are made by the same manufacturer", Vintage is a better quality product in my opinion.  You get what you pay for.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThe main difference is Vintage is has electric servo controls while Hot Rod Air using vacuum.  Does one really have an advantage over the other?

Electric servo's are more positive.."Blend" situations, (control door half closed), have much more positive control with electric...
Electric seems to be more "user friendly" & like Bill says,much easier to install...No vacuum reservoir  or check valves needed .....

QuoteShould I insulate the bottom side of the top cowl?
[/quote]

Not only do you have to insulate this area, try to install a DOUBLE layer of insulation on the interior side of the firewall.....Makes a big difference in noise & heat...Don't forget to insulate & try to seal the back seat area to the trunk..( An insulated panel in the trunk behind the seat is better than nothing) ...

Tinted glass helps if you have not replaced it yet...( Regular "Factory tint" ..Doesn't have to be "Dark tint" ) ....

Keep this thought in mind...You are "removing" warm air & humidity from an area to make it comfortable... Anything you can do to seal & prevent  warm air from coming in makes the passenger compartment that much more comfortable & the a/c system more "efficient" ... The "little" things count too...A bunch of bolt holes in the firewall & floor area, a leaking weatherstrip, when added up equal a half open window.....  Sounds crazy ..But think about it... :?  8)

Bob......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
May I suggest Classic Auto Air. They are in Tampa Fl. and have AC systems that look like stock systems.
Because of price, I am looking at Southern Air. I already have a compressor and condenser.

Bruce

southern air!?!?!

run away!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I had difficulty with the same place tomslik .... it took a while , I  got stuff straightened out.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
May I suggest Classic Auto Air. They are in Tampa Fl. and have AC systems that look like stock systems.
Because of price, I am looking at Southern Air. I already have a compressor and condenser.

Bruce

southern air!?!?!

run away!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I had difficulty with the same place tomslik .... it took a while , I  got stuff straightened out.

8)

me too. but there was NO help from them.
especially the owner....Anus Grande....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list