Chevy 350 TBI/700R4 into a 1967 Rambler American

Started by ArizonaBear, May 05, 2008, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaBear

Greetings from a newbie here:

I found out about this site over @ chevytalk and wondered on over.

My 'problem child' is a 1967 Rambler American SW with a 1972 MY 232 Six and matching AT.

I am not happy with the MPG of only 15 or thereabouts hence my thinking 'V8'.

Thought about an AMC motor but they are getting pricey plus no overdrive AT was ever offered behind 'em; hence my contemplating a 1987-90 Chevy 350 TBI/700R4 package out of a GM truck.

Has anybody done this particular conversion?

I am not concerned about the hassles of hooking up the TBI system; am more concerned about physically dropping in the GM drivetrain.

enjenjo

It's a  near bolt in. You can make an adapter to bolt a 70 Chevy truck V8 mount to the stock frame stands. A plate adapter will fit the trans to the stock crossmember. You can tweak the stock shift linkage to fit the Chevy trans, no manual first gear, but that's ok. You can mod a stock radiator to fit the Chevy, or a 67 Camaro radiator fits nice too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

i've got a 73 challenger 340 radiator for mine and the 340 hoses (upper and lower) are a perfect fit.
you prolly won't have to deal with this but the scattershield is a big problem;)
so are full length headers...

might want to think about suframe connectors too.
amc did in late 68 and all 69
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ArizonaBear

No scattershield needed here: I am going with a 700R4 AT.

The drivetrain will remain stock for simplicity and ease of parts availability. Heck, I may even keep it single exhaust with a catalytic converter :P

Besides: face it; 200 net horsepower with gobs of torque will be plenty in a ca. 3,000 car  :D

1FATGMC

Have you though about a later '96-'99 vortec motor?  Since you are probably going to have to get a wiring harness anyway why not go with the later motor/trans.  More HP and probably better mpg.

I've bought 2 wrecked vans lately for $800 complete, so about all that I will need is the wiring harness and a re-flashed chip for the computer.  I plan on putting one in the '51 Desoto if I ever finish my other projects.  These motors usually go well over 200,000 miles without problems.

c ya,

Sum

UGLY OLDS

Can't help too much on your engine swap but ... ..Welcome to the board  :!:  8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "ArizonaBear"No scattershield needed here: I am going with a 700R4 AT.

The drivetrain will remain stock for simplicity and ease of parts availability. Heck, I may even keep it single exhaust with a catalytic converter :P

Besides: face it; 200 net horsepower with gobs of torque will be plenty in a ca. 3,000 car  :D

IF you don't have the eng/trans allready, how about a 4.8 or 5.3?
i can squeeze 19 out of my 2000 4x4 5.3 chebby if i want.
usually around 16 the way I drive :lol:
truck weighs around 5100 lbs, i venture to guess yours would be about 3200 max...

ArizonaBear

I want the 350 due to its basic low tech TBI system.

Too; I have a feeling that parts availability will be tough on the 1996-02 Gen I Vortecs within a few years------it seems that Chevy pickups/vans with the above setup are dropping off faster than the 1988-95 models that had TBI.

And; the Gen III motors are more complicated yet. GM seems to have borrowed a page from Ford's book in making things that do not readily interchange with the 5.3, etc.

Jbird

I put a 5.0 w/a700r4 out of a 93 Caprice in my 84 C10. It was such a wise decision I almost got 86ed from Team Smart. Simple, dependable and cheap, About the only issue was hooking up the VSS and speedo cable to the same gizmo outlet on the tranny, adapters are available. One more thing, don't mess with the TV cable bracket, adapt the Rambler gas pedal to the TBI throttle body, not the other way around. I used the Caprice pedal & cable assy.
  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Crosley.In.AZ

The LS motors are nice... many folks can make them run in special applications.  Sand dune guys love them

the TBI motors are great too...  I am not sure what year the TBI computers went to flash programming , away from the plug in chips.

Seems like the boss's 1998 Chev truck with a 5.7 TBI had a flash program computer on it.

Should make the Rambler a  turn the key and drive any where car.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "ArizonaBear"I want the 350 due to its basic low tech TBI system.

Too; I have a feeling that parts availability will be tough on the 1996-02 Gen I Vortecs within a few years------it seems that Chevy pickups/vans with the above setup are dropping off faster than the 1988-95 models that had TBI..............

I wonder about this.  The '96 to '00 is the same block, but with better heads.  The vans I got were wrecked, no motor problems.  Shawn's 98 pickup gave up with a spun bearing, but had 270,000 miles on it.  Why would parts be hard to get on the '96 up?  These are also all roller cam motors.

I could get a suburban (2002?)at the same place here that I got the vans with a 5.3 complete with transmission for 800 also if anyone is interested.  This one wrecked pretty bad and some of the engine stuff might need replaced.  The computer is hanging there.

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "ArizonaBear"I want the 350 due to its basic low tech TBI system.

Too; I have a feeling that parts availability will be tough on the 1996-02 Gen I Vortecs within a few years------it seems that Chevy pickups/vans with the above setup are dropping off faster than the 1988-95 models that had TBI.

And; the Gen III motors are more complicated yet. GM seems to have borrowed a page from Ford's book in making things that do not readily interchange with the 5.3, etc.

i thought you wanted a stocker.
now you want to "interchange" something or other..
gen 3's are hi tech!?!?!
not in my world...
just stay with a cable operated throttle...
or not, couldn't be all that hard to adapt the gas pedal...
i kinda like not having to worry about when (not if) my intake gaskets are gonna puke....

oh well, it ain't my car, it's yours...i'm just throwing out ideas.

ArizonaBear

As I have stated in the past; I am no big fan of the Gen III GM Chevy V8's, personal preference here.

Too; the TBI SBC's rather resemble the Old School carbureted V8's of 20 years ago........I have a 'thang' for round air cleaners atop the fuel mixer  :D

And; another thing that endears me to the TBI system is the low fuel pressure mandated......better 12-14 PSI vs. 40+ on the multiport systems.  :)

tomslik

well, what about a 4.3?

btw, you DO know the engine sits off center and makes headers a pain and exhaust mannys even worse, don't ya?

i'm still looking at converting a MII from heidts for a 62-67 nova and taking care of a few issues

and just for your enjoyment;
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/your_garage/cars/1483.shtml :D

ArizonaBear

Been pondering back and forth; more and more I think about it, my 1967 American SW will keep its Six.

I may change out the drivetrain down the road......