Lowering blocks for 1 3/4 springs

Started by junkyardjeff, May 17, 2008, 08:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

The posies lowered rear springs I bought for my 37 chevy p/u did not lower at all so I am looking for a set of 3 inch lowering blocks to use untill the springs settle,I thought about calling them and complaining but I want to get it on the road now and deal with the springs later.  I looked on speedways site and could only find them for 2 1/2 springs,I need then solid so I can redrill the holes up a little further since I sat the rear end back to center it in the fenders.   I have someone making me a set but they are taking too long and I want them real soon.    Jeff

enjenjo

I'm suprised they did not lower the truck, they normally do just what they advertise. Have you driven it at all? They settle some in the first 100 miles.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I have a new set of lowering blocks at home, but being that I'm not there right now, I don't know what the sizes are.  I can check later on tonight when I'm home.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Danimal

You can get the narrower ones from National Chevy. I think they come in 1 1/2" increments. I used them on my '54 Chevy but I stacked them to get the 3".

My car wasn't that much lower than stock after I put the 1 1/2" in because I put in new springs and they were in MUCH better shape than what was on it so it was already sagging in the drawers. You might be facing this issue with your Posie's springs.

58 Yeoman

I checked mine, and they are the Superior brand; 2" wide, 5" long and 3" high, but they aren't solid.  Sorry.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Grandadeo

I've got the same problem. That is that the lowering blocks I have found are too wide for the springs.  In my case 2".  I went to the local metal sales place and bought some 2"x2" and 2"x 3" by 5 to 6" long think wall tubing drops to make some lowering blocks out of.  I guess the price of iron has really gone up.  I went to pay for the drops and pulled out a $5 bill.  I think they charged me $12 - $14 for what I got.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

GPster

You could take your old springs and "torch" them in pieces on either side of the center bolt. Then use a long center bolt and get what you need in 1/4" incriments. I built (cut off everything that wasn't right) a pair out of a piece of railroad train tracks with my bandsaw and hole saws. Got 3 1/2". I have a pair that were on the Jeepster years ago. They might have been more of front end caster or rear end pinion angle correction. They are solid but only 1 1/2" wide and the spring seats are tapered from       1 1/4" to 1 1/2". In may stash i also have a two pairs of "U" bolts that would probably hold it together for awhile. Got any way to pick them up in Marietta, Ohio? Might be easier than shipping than with the cost of gas, postage, and steel. My Cincinnati connection won't be comming til Goodguy's Indy weekend (so that explains where I'll be). GPster

junkyardjeff

There is a swapmeet comming up this weekend and see what I can find.  Jeff