Coil overs..

Started by Dave, May 15, 2008, 06:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

After driving the roadster a couple weeks ago and having the thing what i thought was bottoming out i crawled under it and investigated it.. The shocks are all american  and although they arent the pete and jakes vipers i had on the coupe they seem to be ok but possibly a little soft. To my surprise the springs of the shocks had hit the frame rails  :?:  Ive been looking at this all week and i got a plan together and made some add on shock mounts to bolt to the lower 4 bar and shock mount i have welded on the rearend right now to move the lower mount in and soften the angle .. Pictures after i get back from vacation.. For the life of me i couldnt figure out why the springs would hit but i knew the shocks were mounted on what i consider too much of an angle.. Ok tonite after having to modify the mounts today at work (my fault i miss measured) and bringing the mounts in the garage till i get back on the 25th i finally figured out what was going on.. The shocks are at a 45 degree angle. Go to pro shocks web site and look around and you will see that if a person wanted say a 200 lb spring rate and the shock was mounted at a 45 degree angle you would actually need 377 lb springs to make it work right :!:  Wow .. I have no idea what springs are on it but it is soft.. Now the reason the springs hit the frame is the excessive angle and why didnt my coupe do that ? Because even though it had a triangulated 4bar the lower bars were mounted inside the frame rail where the roadsters are mounted under the frame rail.. possibly  a 2 inch or better difference on the lower mounting point and drastically changing the angle .. At least I have a reason now and a plan. Im almost considering just keeping this car and playing with it. Hell i could even change the body if i get bored with this one but then again money talks and you know the rest.. Im sure your all in suspense till i get back and have time to paint the mounts and change everything but your just gonna have to wait.. im going racing..
Dave  :wink:  :arrow:

EMSjunkie

Obviously they are unusable for your application :shock:

send them to me, let me see if they act the same way on my C-cab :idea:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

HMMMMMMMMMM...... :shock:   And he tease's me abouut my "home made" triangulated 4-bar project taking soooooooo long.. :P  :P

Post the photo's Dave..Let's see what's up.... :(D)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Welder Series

Both bars attach under the frame rails?  That sounds like a Model A four link kit to me... all the '32 four bar kits I'm familiar with mount the bars inside the frame rails.

Do you have angled adjusters?

Is there a sway bar on the rear end?

dw[/img]

UGLY OLDS

Boy....I wish MY stuff looked like that.... :cry:  :cry:  Sniff....Sniff..... :oops:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Fast.Fords

Hopefully this works, trying to attach a chart I copied from the Speedway site......

Didn't work....the chart is on the Speedway Motors web site if you want to take a look

bucketmouth

I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Dave

Just got back from vacation... my set up is a triangulated 4 bar so no panhard needed.. Ive seen the triangulated with the lower bars under the frame on lots of 32's but that doesnt make it the best way to do it or make it wrong either..  Ill try and get some pics this week.. I gotta go thru the vacation pics too.. Ive seen the speedway chart but pro shocks or who ever it was had a calculator on their web site that really makes it easy..
Dave