Small block ford heads

Started by 48ford, May 05, 2008, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I have a question,
Can you put 302 heads on a 351W block?
And if so what will it do to the compression?
Higher?
Lower?
Just asking
Russ&Irene :?:

wayne petty

Quote from: "48ford"I have a question,
Can you put 302 heads on a 351W block?
And if so what will it do to the compression?
Higher?
Lower?
Just asking
Russ&Irene :?:

there are tons of different heads for 302's...    and they will fit... some of them need to be drilled as they have 7/16+.010 holes for the headbolts..

they can and have been drilled for half inch plus bolts a lot... some of the later stuff is already drilled...  ... most autozones have the how to rebuild small block fords and how to hot rod small block fords books in stock...  there is a ton of casting numbers and chamber cc's

post some head casting numbers and some piston numbers to get an answer....

Harry

If you change the heads, you will have to change the intake also.
Something about different heights?

Fast.Fords

The compression ratio will be dependant on what pistons you use, etc.  I've run a 347" (302 stroker) with AFR heads with 195 CFM intake runners, 2.02 intakes and 64 cc chambers in my '83 Mustang, it was a great setup.  Made respectable torque for a small inch engine.  Replaced it a couple years ago with a 408" (351w Stroker) and reused the heads....  Huge increase in torque!!!!  Stump pulling power with the 408.

The difference in the blocks is the deck height, the 351 being the taller block.  You will have to use the appropriate intake for the block you use.  302 intake with the 302 block, 351W intake with the 351W.

Or, you can get into the poor man's Boss 302 and use 351 Cleveland heads (2V for the street, 4V for racing) and the special intake that goes with these heads.....

jaybee

If you build your own Boss I seem to remember that there is an extra steam hole that needs to be drilled, corresponding to a hole in the head gasket.  Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)