Mustang rear end

Started by Inprimer, April 28, 2008, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

I have a chance to get a Mustang rear and possibly a C4. the problem is its a 4 lug, its  in a  V8  Mustang 'vert . Is possible to change axles and drums or does it become cost prohibative?I dont know the price yet but the yard owner doesn't seem to think its worth that much, BTW I want to put the tranny and rear in my father/son  F1 project. any comments, ideas welcomed

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Inprimer"I have a chance to get a Mustang rear and possibly a C4. the problem is its a 4 lug, its  in a  V8  Mustang 'vert . Is possible to change axles and drums or does it become cost prohibative?I dont know the price yet but the yard owner doesn't seem to think its worth that much, BTW I want to put the tranny and rear in my father/son  F1 project. any comments, ideas welcomed

Hey Serg :!:
how's AZ :?:  :?:

It is very possible to change to 5-lug axles 8)

Ford Ranger DRIVER side will fit.
i guess because of the off-set of the rear, you have to use 2 DRIVER side axles. :?
I don't have the exact years on me......but I know someone here knows, 'cuz thats where I got my info 8)
drums are affordable, and availabe. got mine at the Auto Zone :idea:
if its from 'Stang, it might even be a posi rear at that :!:
should be an 8.8"  28 spline.  

good luck :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

You ought to narrow it down to what year Mustang (or you did and I overlooked it). Early Mustangs had 4 lug axels if they were 6 cylinder cars and I don't know if it's a Spicer or an 8" rear. If you narrowed it down further then Tech or Carnut's site has some information. Frank may be busy bailing out his basement or he'd be able to tell you with-in 1/4". GPster

Grandadeo

What bolt patern are you running on the front end?  Is it still a 5x5 1/2" early Ford?  If so find a later pickup rear with the same pattern.  But, I'm guessing you have already changed the front to 5x4 1/2" with disc brakes so the later mustang/granada/maverick may be your best bet.  I would make sure that rear you're looking at is not too narrow for the truck.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Dave

4 bolt stang vert.. Newer ones? 8 1/2 inch i dont care for em and aint gotta clue on parts.. MII maybe  :?:  :?:  :?: 8 inch easily changed and i almost think you can re drill it for 5 bolt.. Its been a while
Dave

EMSjunkie

The first 8.8" I had under my Coupe was from a '91 Mustang LX
V8, had 4-lug rear axles, drum brakes. but it was a posi rear end. I changed it for an 8.8" DISC from a Lincoln Mark 7.
the 8.8 is going under the C-cab :-o

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"The first 8.8" I had under my Coupe was from a '91 Mustang LX
V8, had 4-lug rear axles, drum brakes. but it was a posi rear end. I changed it for an 8.8" DISC from a Lincoln Mark 7.
the 8.8 is going under the C-cab :-o

Vance

Ok do what ya want but last I checked the 8.8 were kinda like the gm rears.. bearings used the axles for the inner race and they could come up with a lot of side to side slop. My buddy's kid had one that i coulda swore the dam axles were gonna fly right outta it :lol:  :lol:  They do work  and lots of guys run em but it just aint me..
Love
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

wayne petty

ok... so if anybody has read the 3rd link  about the advantages between a 12 bolt and a 9 inch ford rear end...

i was thinking..        just thinking... since the frictional losses are less for the 12 bolt... why not build a removable carrier for the 12 bolt gear set and have it fit a 9 inch housing ...   or would this be too much of an unfair advantage..

i was thinking of highspeed circle track racing..  and maybe salt flats...

it is just an idea...

enjenjo

Quotewhy not build a removable carrier for the 12 bolt gear set and have it fit a 9 inch housing ..

Someone makes one. A buddy had one in his bracket car. Strange Engineering maybe?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quotewhy not build a removable carrier for the 12 bolt gear set and have it fit a 9 inch housing ..

Someone makes one. A buddy had one in his bracket car. Strange Engineering maybe?

yep, strange did 'em.
aluminum too...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list