'37 Ford 2-Dr Humpback Sedan Rear Widow Glass

Started by crdnblu, April 24, 2008, 12:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crdnblu

As a first-time street rod builder, this question comes from ignorance on my part.  On a '37 Ford 2-Dr humpback sedan, do the stock rear window glass channels attached to the regulators have to come out for new glass installation?

I ask because, if not, then I want to install travel limit screws to keep the glass channels from travelling too far up & coming off track from the regulator assemblies during my current mock-up phase; a real pain!

Thanks for any & all input......

crdnblu

OK, my error, not picked up w/ spell-check!  Obviously, I meant "Window" glass!  Hopefully, some of you experienced builders have dealt w/ this B/4.  Help, Please.......

enjenjo

Never dealt with that particular year and body style, but typically the glass is set in the channel with setting tape, and channel is installed and removed along with the glass. Are you doing a power conversion?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WOW! It's been a while since I've been on here.....a belated Welcome to the RRT!! Never dealt with a 37 humpback but have done several flatbacks....in fact,I'm currently in the middle of another one.Frank is correct,the glass is set in the channel with setting tape and though I suppose it's possible to do it inside the body cavity,It is much easier out.The placement of the glass in the channel is critical as Henry didn't allow any room for error when he designed this set-up.If the glass is just a bit too far forward or rearward,it will cause the rollers to slip off the track.Along with many other measurements,I always wish I'd have recorded the spacing on the glass but unfortunately,I usually don't think of it until I need them the next time.   :roll: It's not too tough.....just have a helper hold the glass from above as you roll the window,observe which roller drops out and adjust accordingly.....I may be wrong but I don't believe Henry left you enogh room to install a stop unless you fabricate something on the end of the channel....I believe you will see that the rollers use every millimeter of the channel available.Hope this helps and good luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

crdnblu

Thanks for your input.  Power for the front door windows, but stock regulators for the rears.  The car will have AC, so the rears will be rarely used.

oddjob

Quote from: "crdnblu"As a first-time street rod builder, this question comes from ignorance on my part.  On a '37 Ford 2-Dr humpback sedan, do the stock rear window glass channels attached to the regulators have to come out for new glass installation?

I ask because, if not, then I want to install travel limit screws to keep the glass channels from travelling too far up & coming off track from the regulator assemblies during my current mock-up phase; a real pain!

Thanks for any & all input......
Dodge Ram Tuff With Ford And Chevy Stuff