brake pedal seal

Started by WZ JUNK, April 29, 2008, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I made this seal for the brake pedal of a car I am building. Underneath the circular area is a long slot that was needed when I fabricated that part of the floor.   Originally I planned to use some of the bristle stuff that you see around door handles on some of the new cars but I did not have any and I did not plan to go to the auto salvage soon.  I wanted something that was soft and flexible.  So I cut the dark shape out of an old mouse pad and I cut the rectangular hole for the pedal arm.  I used a razor blade to make a few small cuts in the seal around the pedal arm to eliminate drag on the arm but still have a tight seal when the pedal is at rest. Then I made the little moon shaped ring that holds it down to the floor.  Seems to work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

John...That right there is a GREAT idea  :!:  :!:  :idea:  );b(  );b(

Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

Pretty cool old man. I usually let the carpet do that job and also soak up the water that leaks by. Maybe yours is a better idear.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Welder Series

mouse pad!  great idea!

That's been a stumper for me...

Dave

Hate to burst your bubble here but you can also get good rubber and urethane sheets from Mc Master Carr and that works really well. I usually put the ring i make on the bottom side of the floor board or firewall wherever the piece may land and the the inside gets covered with carpet.  I havent made one for the roadster yet but the 30 and the 34 and the 32 coupe all had my own home or shop (when no ones looking) made rings and rubber inserts..
Dave :wink:

Beck

I usually cut up inner tubes for the seal material. The local gas station changes a lot of truck tires and tubes. I stop by every year or so and mooch a tube that has been cut. My brackets are normally square, but I like your round one. Round would be easy using a couple of hole saws.