mounting coil-overs

Started by moose, April 24, 2008, 05:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Howdy all,
Getting ready to weld in the upper mounts for my rear coil-overs. To prevent binding do I set it up so the angle matches the mounts off the rear axle? The lower mount will be on an angle to phase the drive line. is that the angle to match? I an using All-Americams that use a bushing top and bottom.

Thanks

Tim

Dave

Quote from: "moose"Howdy all,
Getting ready to weld in the upper mounts for my rear coil-overs. To prevent binding do I set it up so the angle matches the mounts off the rear axle? The lower mount will be on an angle to phase the drive line. is that the angle to match? I an using All-Americams that use a bushing top and bottom.

Thanks

Tim

Usually tim there is a spacer on the bottom coil over mount to line things up correctly and keep the springs away from stuff. Just put em in level or straight if you will and then with the proper spacer all will be fine. What are you running for rear 4 bars hair pins or triangulated 4 bar or other..
Dave

moose

Dave,
Using ladder bar like pete and jakes angled in similar to the original set-up. I know about the spacer onthe bottom but was not sure about the top if it should match angles to keep in the same plane.straight I can do.

Still want the mirrors if you plan to make the Ypsi show.

Tim

Dave

Quote from: "moose"Dave,
Using ladder bar like pete and jakes angled in similar to the original set-up. I know about the spacer onthe bottom but was not sure about the top if it should match angles to keep in the same plane.straight I can do.

Still want the mirrors if you plan to make the Ypsi show.

Tim

Ya id just set em straight tim .. there is some play in the bushings and you should be ok.. Ill get the mirrors to you somehow. I may not make the show if I go with the boys to Auto City saturday night for the sprint car races. It all depends on what time in the early morning i get home and if i can get my old tired dumb * up on sunday.. Oh ya weather is a factoid too.. By the way my top mounts are straight..
Dave

enjenjo

Tim, are you talking about angled forward and back? Or angled in at the top?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moose

Quote from: "enjenjo"Tim, are you talking about angled forward and back? Or angled in at the top?

Frank,
I am refering to angled front to back. Side to side they will be mounted about 20 degrees in at the top. I seem to recall an article that suggested havint the top mount andle to match the lower mount. Something about limiting binding the mount point.

Tim

moose

Ill get the mirrors to you somehow. I may not make the show if I go with the boys to Auto City saturday night for the sprint car races. It all depends on what time in the early morning i get home and if i can get my old tired dumb * up on sunday.. Oh ya weather is a factoid too..

If ya make it bring them. If not it will be a good excuse to come visit.

By the way my top mounts are straight..
Dave[/quote]

Thanks

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Tim, are you talking about angled forward and back? Or angled in at the top?

Frank im assuming he has set the bottom mounts with the axle for like 3 degrees which will throw the bottom mounts off some and he is wondering if he needs to angle the top mounts to the same angle .. Nope it will be ok like it is with the top mounts set straight. the bushings in the coil overs should move enuff to take up the difference.
dave

Bugpac

keep the mounting bolts as close to the same as possible at ride height, i think you will be fine, no sense of loading the bushing just to get them on the car... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

I would set them both at the same angle, just because. There are other things that enter in to this, but if they are rubber bushed, it should work ok.

To be exactly right, the upper mount and the lower mount should be the same distance from the front ladder bar pivot point, and the mounting bolts should be at 90 degrees to a line through the top and bottom mount. This would give the least amount of bushing deflection, and binding, and prevent the effective spring rate from changing as it moves through it's travel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.