A Crosley back to life

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 03, 2004, 12:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A Crosley that I have owned for several years has sit the last 5 years.  

It worked fine that last time I used it....... you know the story of " it ran great when it was parked"

This Crosley has sit for 5 years and I pulled it out to revive it.  After a close inspection I found the wires where in reall bad shape.

Insulation was falling off everywhere with plenty of bare wire hanging.  So I started the ordeal of pulling the Crosley apart to replace the wires last night.

Did I mention it is a Crosley Fridge?    :wink:

I need to find a switch for the interior light......... I know an appliance guy here in the phoenix area.  mayb I need to look up ol Jerry?

The switch is rated at 1/4 amp at 250 volts.... 3/4 amp at 125 volts
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Most of the newer refrigerator compressers had wiring terminals that were sealed in glass at the compresser body but some of those old compressers had electric terminals that were a combination of threaded studs with rummer seals and bakelite washers. They were prone to leak and with the ban on R12 it might be costly to refurbish such a vintage item. Hot wire the compresser  and make sure it runs and the tricky part would be to see if it gets cold. This part would be tricky because if it has lost its refrigerant and runs it could pull the low (suction) side into a vaccuum and pull air into the system and then need to have a vaccuum pulled on the system after the leak is repaired before it's re-charged. I'm surprised that it still has door latches on it. These things go back to the days before magnetic door gasket and a lot of communities had laws that the latches had to be removed or the doors taken off so that kids wouldn't try to hide in them and get locked inside and sufficate. Now for the good news. If you get the light working correctly and it doesn't refrigerate, They make an excellent place to store welding rod and keep it dry. Of course that may not be a problem in Arizona. GPster

phat46

Did I mention it is a Crosley Fridge?    :wink:

A friend has a perfect Crosley fridge in her cabin in northern Michigan. Works just fine. Any idea when they stopped making those?

Sean

What year is yours? I have a 1952 International Harvester Fridge that works great. I know the man that bought it new, and since '52 its only been unplugged 3 times.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Sean"its only been unplugged 3 times.

That is what maybe kept it alived.  I was told once, might or might not be true, that seals and such will dry out on one that is not in use.  I've always tried to keep my * or freezer plugged in even when in storage.

I have a chest freezer (Monkey Wards) from the mid '70's that is still going strong.  Now if after posting this it quits I'll be pi..ed  :( .

Last winter I had a * that wasn't that old get real hot up along the side of the freezer compartment.  I couldn't figure an easy way to get to that area so I got the air cutoff wheel and decided to cut a little inspection window.  I proceeded to make the first cut right in the outside corner and all of a sudden I had air blowing in my face.  I thought it was the cut-off wheel or air line, but then found out they had run one of the compressor lines right up the side of the body there and I had cut thru it and the freon was coming out and blowing in my face.  That * is now sitting out in the shop  :roll: .  I won't do that again!  It was expensive.

c ya, Sum

phat46

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Sean"its only been unplugged 3 times.

That is what maybe kept it alived.  I was told once, might or might not be true, that seals and such will dry out on one that is not in use.  I've always tried to keep my * or freezer plugged in even when in storage.

I have heard that too, but the old Crosley that i wrote about above is shut off many times each year. All the power to the cabin is shut off when the owners leave after a week or weekend of use. It also sits all winter with the power off and it's still going strong.
A couple weeks ago my wife and I rented a small cabin on a river up north. the cabin came with a stove/'fridge appliance. It was a stovetop with a refridgerator underneath. Looks like it was stolen off Noahs ark. The owner of the cabins came in with us since it was the start of the season and plugged it in. He said he was happy to hear it start hummimg because "you can't get parts for them anymore ya know"

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat46"

A friend has a perfect Crosley fridge in her cabin in northern Michigan. Works just fine. Any idea when they stopped making those?

The Crosley Corp still manufactures appliances. see link below

Crosley Corporation
Tony

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"

The Crosley Corp still manufactures appliances. see link below

Yeah, I had a Crosley Washer, but it only lasted 3 years. They must have built them better "back in the day".

Crosley.In.AZ

I have re-wired the Crosley fridge.

It is working fine. The thermostat is functioning, the compressor is cycling on & off

I decided to remove the light and related wires from the box.

Now I  have classic storage for my sodas and water ..... in a few weeks there willl be cool air from the a/c unit.
Tony