Mustang ll IFS- control arm mounting

Started by Topsterguy, April 13, 2008, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey folks!  I'm using a mustang ll IFS in the 40 Ford pickup I'm doing - aftermarket X member etc. About mounting the upper control arms - I've seen a couple of guys bolt the mounting shafts with the T bolts going thru angle iron mounts towards the engine instead of down thru the hats as per stock. Apparently the reason for this is to stop the arms from moving inwards if you hit a major pothole or whatever, which could be a major problem way out in the boonies if it happened! Anyone got thoughts on this or a solution to prevent this happening if they're mounted the stock way?  Thanks!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

I've done a couple that way. But the only ones I have done, I used taller spindles. With the stock Mustang spindles, it raises the upper inner pivot point enough to mess up the camber curve, causing excessive camber gain on compression, unless the hats are reworked severely in the area where the upper arm mounts.

Stock control arm shafts are seratted where the bolts hold them to the tower. Properly torqued, they won't move.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Thanks! I'm using 2" dropped spindals from Speedway, so as far as I know they're the same height etc, just the higher spindal shaft.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I've done a couple that way. But the only ones I have done, I used taller spindles. With the stock Mustang spindles, it raises the upper inner pivot point enough to mess up the camber curve, causing excessive camber gain on compression, unless the hats are reworked severely in the area where the upper arm mounts.

Stock control arm shafts are seratted where the bolts hold them to the tower. Properly torqued, they won't move.

Fat man suggests to help this take a chisel and serate the hats also.. My neighbor told me about this he has a 36 plymouth and he did that trick and it worked great.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Topsterguy

Yeah, that was going to be my next step!  Thanks!

Charlie Chops 1940

Not a bad idea - upsetting the hat area, but mine has been together around 20 years and not drifted out of alignment yet.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

My 34 is still running around and to my knowledge its never moved either and i didnt do anything to it either.. But looking ahead id do it next time just because.. A little insurance
Dave

Topsterguy

I chiseled notches into the hats in the bolt area then touched them up a bit with a little disk and I think it'll be fine, but I still might change it - we'll see! Thanks guys!

paul2748

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hey folks!  I'm using a mustang ll IFS in the 40 Ford pickup I'm doing - aftermarket X member etc. About mounting the upper control arms - I've seen a couple of guys bolt the mounting shafts with the T bolts going thru angle iron mounts towards the engine instead of down thru the hats as per stock. Apparently the reason for this is to stop the arms from moving inwards if you hit a major pothole or whatever, which could be a major problem way out in the boonies if it happened! Anyone got thoughts on this or a solution to prevent this happening if they're mounted the stock way?  Thanks!  Larry

Ford did it this way for a number of years, I think starting with 1954 (my 54  and 56 are this way).  I have also seen this being done in one or two cars in Street Rodder.

If you ask me, its better.