What do you think?

Started by chimp koose, April 14, 2008, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I was at a car show a few weeks ago and saw a really beautiful full fendered deuce roadster show car on stands. There were over 300 body mods to it ,most would require me to have a stocker next to it to find the subtle mods(beautiful work). The one mod that I had a problem with is that the headlights don't attach to a headlight bar (gone) or the sides of the grille shell ,but to a panel behind the hood sides that requires the headlight to be removed in order to remove the hood side. I know that show cars are not about being practical ,but this one thing bothers me . If you were to ever drive this car ,each time you opened the hood you would need to aim a headlight. Does this kind of stuff bother anyone else ?

Charlie Chops 1940

Form over function...not just the domain of "show" cars.

Yeah, it bothers me a lot as I tend to subscribe to the "less is more" school of thought. Lots of guys think that if one "hook" is good to make us like the car then any number between that and 300 is necessary.

Whatever.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

river1

hotrods by their very nature are not (in most cases) practical, add the extra showmanship of show rods and you get what you get.

my pet peeve are the guys that take a stock body and perform so much body surgery the you can barely tell what they started with. today's craftsman could have built the car from flat stock and saved the original body for those of us who like them more original.

my $.02

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Dave

My first problem .. Fenders  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Not really but heres the way I like my 32 fords.. 3 window fenders or not ...chopped nice wheels sb chevy and 9 inch thats enuff mods.. Roadsters chopped 2 inches stock style windshield bop top fenders or not.. 5 windows same deal.. I see no reason to do a hundred body mods or anything like that cause Henry nailed it when he first did it cept for the chop.
Dave  :wink:  :wink:

Fast.Fords

hmmmm.  Well, if we're talking just Deuces then I like the subtle little changes that the majority of people don't even notice if they haven't built a couple themselves.....  Hard to improve on a car that was built with superb styling.....

On most others, I like mods!  It's quite challenging to come up with mods, be it chopping, sectioning, resculpting the side, mixing and matching panels from other cars, or just plain fabbing up your own panels that still make the car flow and compliment a central theme for the project...  What I don't like is a hodge podge of stolen ideas incorporated into a build that is just trying to copy the latest trend......

Jbird

Sometimes customizers just get out of control. This was at the Sactown Autorama in Feb. It's taken that many months for me to justify posting a pic of it here for your viewing pleasure. Only a trained eye can tell WTF it was born as.   Jbird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

chimp koose

Chev half ton,68 to 72 ? thats my guess. Looks like a mercedes front clip.That builders taste is all in his mouth! I've driven fork lifts that looked better than that !

Dave

Quote from: "chimp koose"Chev half ton,68 to 72 ? thats my guess. Looks like a mercedes front clip.That builders taste is all in his mouth! I've driven fork lifts that looked better than that !

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  );b(  );b(  );b(  );b(  );b(  );b(  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:  :b-d:

Carnut

I kinda grew up in customizers heaven more so than a real Hot Rodders world, so I can understand customizing a bit.

But my most often used quip when viewing a lot of 'radical' customs which are the ultimate example of a builders skill, vision and accomplishment was to say 'just because you can do it, dosen't mean you should'.

Fast.Fords

Quote from: "Carnut"I kinda grew up in customizers heaven more so than a real Hot Rodders world, so I can understand customizing a bit.

But my most often used quip when viewing a lot of 'radical' customs which are the ultimate example of a builders skill, vision and accomplishment was to say 'just because you can do it, dosen't mean you should'.

Very true...  But the crowd I run with has twisted that just a bit....  Because you can do it is reason enough to do it!!!

Btw, with a few changes on the box, think the pickup in the pic would be great!!!!!!

Whatever one's preference on customizing, I'm glad there are so many different ones....  Sure would be boring if everybody built the same thing!!!!!!!

If I get it to post, a pic of a mod in progress on an '82 Camaro....just something different...  All started cuz I hate plastic bumper covers!!!!!   Everything is sheetmetal now, as it should be..... :roll:  :lol:

Carnut

Out of Control?

Heh,heh, just because you can dosen't mean you should.

This vehicle brings back some really old memories for me.

Back in 1962 I helped push a radical custom 1958 Ford Ranchero
up to the second floor show area in the Wichita Forum for a
Starbird Car Show.

That 58 Ranchero was chopped sectioned shortened and customized
about as much as the truck above.

And 58 was still a relatively new vehicle, anyhow the engine was
built and chromed somewhat similar to the vehicle pictured above,
and it wasn't till we got the thing up and into position that I walked
around and noticed the engine didn't have any spark plug wires or
spark plugs in it.

Oh those were the days.

Carps

Quote from: "river1"hotrods by their very nature are not (in most cases) practical, add the extra showmanship of show rods and you get what you get.

my pet peeve are the guys that take a stock body and perform so much body surgery the you can barely tell what they started with. today's craftsman could have built the car from flat stock and saved the original body for those of us who like them more original.
I'm with Jim on both points.

Of course if the engine is well tuned and reliable, then the hood should not neetd to be lifted that often.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "Fast.Fords"
Quote from: "Carnut"I kinda grew up in customizers heaven more so than a real Hot Rodders world, so I can understand customizing a bit.

Very true...  But the crowd I run with has twisted that just a bit....  Because you can do it is reason enough to do it!!!

Whatever one's preference on customizing, I'm glad there are so many different ones....  Sure would be boring if everybody built the same thing!!!!!!!

I also agree with this.

Does this mean I'm bad, wrong or just confused?   :?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Mac

Quote from: "Carnut"I walked
around and noticed the engine didn't have any spark plug wires or
spark plugs in it.

I respect the right of anyone to design and build anything they want. I don't have to like it.
I have real issues with non-functional cars in competition. Cars like Carnut described and never filled with fluids even are not vehicles and should be in art shows with other sculpture.
Who\'s yer Data?

Fast.Fords

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Fast.Fords"

I also agree with this.

Does this mean I'm bad, wrong or just confused?   :?

just means you're a normal hot rodder.....