1955 Pontiac 2bbl Rochester carb problem

Started by Jersey_Johnny, April 21, 2008, 10:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jersey_Johnny

Folks,

I seem to have a problem with my 1955 Pontiac 2bbl rochester carb in a tri-power progressive setup on my 1926 model T rod. The problem is the center carb is dumping fuel into the intake. After shutting down the motor and looking down into the air horn, you can see fuel drizzling down to the butterflies and flooding the motor upon retarting.

This is the second time this happen. When the problem first occurred I had 7 p.s.i. from the mechanical fuel pump (good), I COMPLETELY rebuilt the center carb. I carefully checked all parts for cracks and flaws during the rebuild. None found. The results of the initial rebuild were great for about 100 miles of riding. Tonight, the problem started again. Bumping a screw driver handle against the float bowl had NO positive affect.

Short of completely rebuilding the carb (again), I was wondering if anyone may have suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Jersey_Johnny

enjenjo

Regulate the fuel pressure down to 3.5 psi. As long as you have the volume, that will be enough pressure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jersey_Johnny

Enjenjo,

It is truely a pleasure to get your help on this matter. I was leaning toward throwing a regulator in line too. I assume I was on the threshold of not flooding during the 100 miles after rebuilding the carb.

BTW - I know this may sound strange, but the last time I was on RRT was in 1999. Not long before my last days on this the old RRT, you helped me with a disc brake setup on my 1968 Caprice. To jog your memory, I salvaged a complete disc brake setup from a 1970 Impala only to discover the discs were EXTREMELY difficult to find and only on supplier had two in stock for several hundred dollars each. You answered my post, told me to wait several days for your solution. You came through and your solution was to use Corvette rear disc rotors and the only mod was to enlarge the lug stud holes. Cost per rotor back then was about $35 each and found in any auto parts store. To this day, I saved the thread which I printed almost 10 years ago and keep for my records.  I owe you big time!

Thanks again,

Jersey_Johnny

p.s. - Back in the old days I used a different screen name and until I dig out my old posting, I draw a blank on my old screen name (old age)

enjenjo

I remember that thread. I don't remember your screen name either.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jersey_Johnny

Enjenjo,

I will dig out the old posting from my records sometime this week and maybe change my name back to the old name. Since RRT has took on a new format from the old days, I doubt if there is any record of my old screen name.

Before posting this thread, I viewed the member list. I recognized many of the names on the list as if they never left. Brought back many old memories.

The reason for my long absence was due to purchasing an old house. The house is the location where I kept my cars (has 4 garages + workshop) for many years prior to purchasing the property. I knew the past owner like family. The past owner died at 90 years old at which time I bought the property from her estate. Since that time, I spent years fixing up the house (it's a big 5 bathroom 7 bedroom duplex). It left little time for anything else.

Anyway, many thanks!!!

Jersey_John

Fat Cat

Quote from: "enjenjo"I remember that thread. I don't remember your screen name either.

He went by BigDummy and we posted the details of his post here

Jersey_Johnny

Enjenjo,
That is it! It brings back old memories. I did not see a date in the clip and when click on the link to show the entire story, a page not found error resulted. Do you know what year I made this post? I assume 1999 or earlier. I still run the setup on my Caprice and to this very day the braskes feel better than today's new cars.

Someday if i meet up with you, I hope to repay you for your advice (coffe? Steak dinner?)  BTW - You helped me on other problems too.

Thanks again for digging out my old story from the dusty archives!

Jersey_Johnny (former Big Dummy)