Compressor hookup

Started by phat46, April 19, 2008, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I have just been using a long "rubber" line off my compressor to work in the shop/garage. I got a retractable reel to use in the garage to air up tires and such, it will reach out side the garage so that can be done in the driveway. What I want to do is run hard lines through the shop area with shorter flexable lines off of several outlets. My question is what do you use to connect the hard line to the compressor? I would like to isolate the hard lines with some sort of flex line to avoid problems and noise in the hard lines from the compressor vibrations....or maybe this isn't needed?

Fast.Fords

I have one on mine, I think it really helps with the noise!!!!  For the line, I went to one of the farm equipment shops in town and had them make me up a high pressure rubber hose about 1 foot long, then used some AN to pipe adapters, and installed it....  Been on there about 5 years and still working great.

Bugpac

Hydraulic hose, have them put pipe ends on it, better of if it has a loop in it as well, will isolate better that way....so about 4' long and a big loop... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Bugpac

Oh, on a side not, my whole shop at work is ran in 3/4" copper tubing, we have a 175 working pressure as well.... :D

phat46

Quote from: "Bugpac"Oh, on a side not, my whole shop at work is ran in 3/4" copper tubing, we have a 175 working pressure as well.... :D

I have a whole pile of never used black iron pipe, and fitting, 3/4 and 1" that my workplace was throwing away. It had been used for racks that were no longer used. Should hold about ten times the pressure my compressor can produce!  :lol:

Fuzzy

I got mine at Grainger Industrial Supply,and it's made for that purpose.I believe McMaster Carr also has them,not very expensive either.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Bugpac

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Bugpac"Oh, on a side not, my whole shop at work is ran in 3/4" copper tubing, we have a 175 working pressure as well.... :D

I have a whole pile of never used black iron pipe, and fitting, 3/4 and 1" that my workplace was throwing away. It had been used for racks that were no longer used. Should hold about ten times the pressure my compressor can produce!  :lol:

Perfect.... :D

wayne petty

another wayne tip... for those who need to use air tools at the end of a long hose...

if you have one of the portable air tank  
a pair of quick connectors and plugs the same style that you use on your hoses.... a tee and a nipple...

unscrew the hose from the air tank valve.... screw the nipple and tee in... put a quick connect on one side and a quick connect plug on the other...  put the second quick connect coulping on the end of the removed hose.

this does several things...  allows you to fill your tire tank in seconds...

and allows you to plug  the air tank into the end of your long run of hose and  another short length to that so it becomes a surge tank... makes air impacts work so much faster not having to pull all the air through the long long run of hose...

to fill the tank for remote tire use... turn the valve off..  unhook the hose with the tire chuck on it... and plug in your compressor hose, open the valve and the air will fill the tank in seconds... turn the valve off and unhook the compressor hose and rehook the air chuck hose.. you are ready to go in seconds...  not a minute or more... the tank can still be filled at gas stations through the tire valve.. or if you know them with the shops air line..

i have had a freon tank conversion bottle like this for a decade.. the only hard part was finding a 1/8 nptm automotive style QC plug...

oh... and anybody using pipe for air lines... be sure to put a tee and an additional foot nipple or more past where the air connectors comes off so any water condensation passes the point where you hook up and you can drain the pipes before starting paint and let it leak a tiny bit during spray to let any water leak out......

this is just the way i do things...  i am sneeky about how i set up air lines... when i worked for the cad resto shop... i put in a bunch of taps around the shop where the finished cars would sit...   the boss always hated that the air ride cars would settle to the ground after a few days...

i rigged up a few lines with check valves with clip on tire chucks... and ran them under the leakers and clipped them into the air tank behind the grill...  it took the boss a few weeks to figure out why they were not all sitting on the ground...

again this is just more unask for junk mail from wayne...

1FATGMC

Quote from: "wayne petty"another wayne tip... for those who need to use air tools at the end of a long hose....

......................again this is just more unask for junk mail from wayne...

Hey Wayne the surge tank tip and the others is a good one, thanks.

Now for my tip.  I have a 5 HP 2 cylinder single stage compressor.  It is lacking sometimes.  Recently if I'm using some high demand item on it like my sand blaster I hook a portable 110 volt smaller compressor into the line using the quick disconnects and a hose with male ends on both ends to hook to the portable and into the stationary lines.  The compressor doesn't put out a lot, but with it's tank and output it makes a difference for those few times more air is needed.

The best tip is to just save up the money and buy a 2 stage compressor to begin with.  I'll have one sooner or later and will be upset with myself that it wasn't sooner.

c ya,

Sum